Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Colin,

IMHO, leave the inside of dome as is, when you fire it will get sooted, then clear, get sooted, etc. You could smooth off any high edges on the "floor" that might catch a peel though. Nice build, excellent taper arch.
Thanks Russell

Thanks for the compliments much appreciated.

I do have a tip I got from Doug to break the soot clear soot cycle. Apparently Doug's oven is always clean. How he does it goes like this. Heat oven to pizza temp, cook pizza, before closing down wfo, after pizza cook, re heat oven to pizza temp, remove fire when dome is clear, seal oven with door, sit around fire with a nice wine [I added this bit ]. Oven stays clean you can then cook over next however many days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-13-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with Russell on there not being any need to grind the inside of your oven. Spend as much time as you like, but I can just about guarantee you won't be looking at it once it's complete.

As to Doug's "tip" - that's pretty much just the way it works... The oven gets sooted every time you light a fire, clears when you get it hot enough, and stays clean until you light another fire. Wash, rinse, repeat
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey I had a brain fart today and am thinking of polishing the inside of the dome and the floor or maybe just the floor.
I have 3 questions.
Why, why and why?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I have 3 questions.
Why, why and why?
Hi Allan

too answer each question.

Just a thought, just a thought, just a thought

Seriously

I guess no body else has...because I can.. I have spent a lot of time Admiring Gianni's soap stone and it just looks very clean. So if I polished the floor it would be much easier to clean. As for the dome hmmmmm it would be

Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
So if I polished the floor it would be much easier to clean.
The fire cleans the floor.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Apprentice

Floor will expand at different rate so anything you make smooth today might not be smooth after few big fires
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its not a beauty contest

Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Its not a beauty contest
oh but it is
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Its not a beauty contest
At least not the way I did mine. Still this build is a thing of beauty. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not. ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I guess no body else has...because I can.. I have spent a lot of time Admiring Gianni's soap stone and it just looks very clean. So if I polished the floor it would be much easier to clean.
This only half correct...you can, but I have already I done it. I used a wet polisher on the floor BEFORE I built the dome.

I wasn't trying to achieve a polish though....this was about functionality. The bricks that I used are very rough on the surface and I wanted to close them up, and eliminate drag. I used 50 grit to knock it down then 100 to 200 for the final finish.

How firebricks turn out when trying to achieve a high gloss...I can't tell you, because in all honesty, I see little that can be gained by doing it, so I never tried. When I start the next oven I'll play around and see how it turns out.

But whatever floats your boat....if that is what you want to do, do it. There's no right or wrong on this point.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin