Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I don't know that your thick stainless tube will be preventing too much heat from transferring to the outer parts of the oven. Stainless is around 10 x more conductive than brick and your tube has pretty thick walls.
10x the conductivity with 2% of the mass = a lot less conductivity.

I have a heat break like this, works great.
oasiscdm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
10x the conductivity with 2% of the mass = a lot less conductivity.

I have a heat break like this, works great.
That's good to hear. I think some stainless in this area is a good solution, but my point was that it needs to be thin. If yours is only 2% of the mass of the same volume of firebrick then yours must be extremely thin. Looking at Colin's photo the section appears to be a 2" x1" (25x50 mm with a wall thickness of around 2.0mm) which weighs just over 2 kgs/m. The same volume of dense firebrick weighs 4.6 Kgs. So you have around 50% of the mass not 2%. Really the only stainless bit you need is the bit on top and a little down the sides. Reducing the amount of stainless exposed to the bricks on the sides and the bottom would be preferable. With a wall thickness of 0.5 mm and say40% of the section cut away, the mass could be reduced to an eighth of what you presently have. Another job for the angle grinder perhaps?

Last edited by david s; 07-29-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Ammended calculation
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Master Builder

David

I hear what you are saying, I guess we will have to wait and see. The interesting thing is I can remove it and replace it should it be a problem. I just don't see that happening surrounded by calsil on the outside.

Dennis, Russell both report theirs works a treat so here's what I will do. Once the thing is fired up to pizza temp and the oven clears I will post the differential both sides of the stainless.

My Build -
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

My outside arch is abt 1" smaller than vent arch and say 2.5" (1cm) larger than my inner arch. So there is a lip on the outside arch. You just need to make sure your door seals on the inner arch but has clearance to pull straight out on the outer arch. So far no issues on removing the door. Just give yourself good clearance tolerance on the outer arch.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-final-arch.jpg   new build in werribee-86b-door-5.25.jpg   new build in werribee-88-finished-door-6.5.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-22-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Russell

I was looking at your build last night Russell. I know what you and David are referring. I am using a full reveal and a flared entry, the Door maybe 25mm - 50mm lip even having the outer vent arch 55mm lower that will leave me 55mm. Do you think that should be ok?

My Build -
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell, Colin,
I must have misread/misinterpreted what you were saying re sizes of the arches. Russell your photo clearly shows no problem with the door fitment.
Great work.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Once the thing is fired up to pizza temp and the oven clears I will post the differential both sides of the stainless.
Yes, that will be useful. While you're about it shoot the temperature of the stainless pipe too. With all the calsil surrounding it I'm sure it will work well, but I'd expect the pipe itself will read a lot higher than the granite and perhaps even a bit more than the brick just in front of it. My mobile oven sits on a Hebel base that has a couple of 4x40mm steel straps under the centre. When the oven is cranking the bottom of the Hebel is warm to the touch while the steel straps are considerably hotter (the heat being attracted to the more conductive material)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Master Builder

David

Will do, . Curious what is your mobile oven used for?

My Build -
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I rent it out
oasiscdm likes this.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Master Builder

Course 8 done yay

Hopefully course nine tomorrow. Thinking of overlapping 2 bricks to retain bond.

Also ordered granite landing yesterday should have that Wednesday.

Fishpond have shipped my flue bits there on a slow boat from the states think there being canoed over 2 bits wont arrive until 28 August. oh well not to worry as long as they get here, as the price on fishpond was so much better than else where.

My Build -