Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Seems a lot of trouble to go through to buy a 48" flue section when they sell a standard 36" sections here in Oz off the shelf?

Maybe Im missing something?
HI Allan

Yes you have. but I do not think I have never described the reason or challenge.

I have shade sails very close to flue and they are cream [very bad choice in hindsight]. Based on calculations a 900 mm flue length will sit below the sail staining it with smoke possibly ash.

I needed to get the flue above the sail by 600mm and didn't want to do it in 2 lengths. getting 2 lengths with plate and cap was going to cost at least $450. Getting 1500mm single length SS fabricated without cap was going to cost $700.

Importing Selkirk Duratech or metal best from the US was going to cost $360 - 550 + 400 delivery + exchange rate costs.

I stumbled on Fishpond.com.au having Selkirk superpro flue system for 500. It is double walled insulated SS with twist lock fit like Russell and DEnnis used and for $500AUD delivered a very reasonable buy. assuming there aren't any catches but according to the email response from Fishpond there aren't any $500.95 is what it will cost me. A no Brainer. Does that clear it up?

As Dave pointed out I haven't compromised yet so why start now. after all I did use the best brick in the end didn't I

But I have layed the foundation for anyone in Aus that find Russell option better looking when the flue is not being covered then fishpond seems to be a good option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well weekend rained the whole time. So i decided to work out landing. Have decided to go around the inner arch and to flare it. Why? Just looks better... I'm going to pack some fire blanket between the inner arch and the landing arch and will then seal with either sealant or some fire cement mix to finish it off.

The front arch form will be lower than the rear by 2.5" and wider by the same. I will flare the vent area wider at bottom narrowing to the flue left right front back, this is something I have discussed with Doug.

Went to bunnies and got some ply for forms and have marked these out.

I see this a very simple way of doing a thermal break and opening the oven to avoid the tunnel look. Does add complexity though. But cuts here only on the front brick.

I will be doing a decorative arch around 80mm deep with some house bricks I still have, with white cement.

I have someone to thank for assistance on the flared landing and he knows who he is. Thx
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0833.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0834.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-14-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi

Well I had a long weekend thanks to an RDO, however didn't get as much done as other things got in the way. Costing 2 of those days...Cricket didn't help.... Sorted out my problem I couldn't figure out in raising the landing too minimize the thickness of the Granite. Thanks John for pics the answer was there all the time. Wasted Friday afternoon trying to work it out.

So decided to work on the entry landing area so I can order the Granite landing. Took a series of photos showing the steps.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0838.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0839.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0840.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0841.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0842.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag0843.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-21-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Next steps

Decided to put some calsil in the SS tube I'm using for the Thermal Break. Had it handy, couldn't see why I shouldn't stick it down there
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0844_zoe006_shot.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0845_zoe_006_1.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0846_zoe_006_1.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0847_zoe_006_1.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0848_zoe_006_1.jpg  

Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now every thing is now cemented in place except the start of the arch bricks they are just sitting there. Decided to use some thin bed Hebel adhesive to position these.

So I will cut out a template for the Granite. When that arrives I will cut down some 75 mm firebricks into splits so that the granite keeps the same height as the heart and bed it in place with thin bed adhesive.

Will lay the first course of the vent arch then work the rest out then.

I have cut out the arch templates but need to make some minor adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0850.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0851.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0852.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-21-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't know that your thick stainless tube will be preventing too much heat from transferring to the outer parts of the oven. Stainless is around 10 x more conductive than brick and your tube has pretty thick walls. having four sides will not allow it to operate as an expansion joint either. I'll be interested to hear how you think it performs.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

David

Thanks for the information and concern. I think I have it all covered, and don't feel it will be an issue. If you check out all the photos you will notice that the installation of the tube, sits on calsil board, which then runs up the front of the SS to 25mm from the top. Look at the photos.

The granite landing will meet the SS [so its all level after I cut some firebrick splits] so only 22mm of Granite will be in actual contact with the SS.

Besides it is more for looks as I like the separation that Russell and others have done using the SS Tube.
Bec1208 likes this.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-21-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok, that should work.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

thanks again nice to get comments of concern. BTW I also stuffed the tube with calsil now that was fun not sure what that will do if anything but why not I had some left over. So other than the tube it is pretty much 50mm of calsil.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"The front arch form will be lower than the rear by 2.5" and wider by the same. "

Colin,
This may make the fitting of your oven door awkward, especially when it's hot. You might have to go for a two piece door like TS.
Dave