Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Once this oven is built with all the precision and perfection I bet you will be just too scared to light it for fear of it going black with soot.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Master Builder

Nice call Brickie

I could do this each time I use it Alan......... burn a bloody fire when i'm finished, get it too temp with all the carbon burned off the walls and remove the fire, at this point it stays clean.

I believe Doug does this. You then cook for days just as you do Alan.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-06-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Dennis

Do you know any one in your area that ships to Australia?
I don't. All the sites I checked (Build.com, plumbers depot, amazon) are only US/Canada. Maybe a canadian site would ship to Aus?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Laborer

Hey Colin, Coming along nicely. Don't know if its an exact flue cap you are after but I bought a half decent stainless one from BBQ's Galore of all places. Think they are only 6" tho?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Serf

I get a bit of stuff from the states, recently got a new mash tun which is fairly bulky. I used MyUS.com for the first time and happy with them. They give you a US address where your goods are sent ( often free postage to US addresses) and then foward onto you. You can get a quote from them before signing up which in my case was spot on, all you need to know are the weight and dimensions of the product. You can also orders from multiple sources and get them repackaged into one parcel (for a fee). My mashtun took 4 days to get here and still cost less than buying in oz, even with the dollar collapsing.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Serf

This mob in oz seems to have a good selection
Flue systems, flue kits and flues for wood heaters by Abbey Fireplaces.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Seamad, Dennis and Stevo. Have checked BBQ Galore. Dennis tried the Canada idea. Also tried the pricing on getting it shipped the way you pointed out Seamad.

However may have found solution.

I'm waiting on a quote from a fabricator for 2 flue ducts, 1500 long x 200 diameter 2b Finished 304 SS and a 1500 long x 250 diameter no.4 finish 304 SS. and a anchor plate to suit.

I stumbled onto Fishpond last night which will ship all the flues I have looked at to Australia for free [guess the shipping cost is built into the price from what I can see]. I just need to now get quote from the fabricator and work out if I just order a flue rain cap from fishpond or the 3 bits I need. for what I need I'm looking at $504AUD from Fishpond. Which is more than reasonable for 1200 length flue. Previous price I had from states using SEAMAD method was going to be $700AUD

Prices for what I need using flue manufactures here in aus 2 length of 900mm eg. would cost me around $450 for the anchor plate, flue cap, and 4 lengths of Duct.

So guys go for Fishpond seems like a great option to me.

Posted a couple of photo's after starting course 8 about 1/4 done thought I would muck around setting up landing arch to work out how I might do it. Thinking of a full reveal, makes thermal break easy to do, flared entry around 25 - 50 mm. Finishing with house bricks for decorative arch with white mortar [same as house]. Thinking I prefer the wider view and larger landing allows for other options also.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0826.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0827.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0828.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-07-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Apologies if you mentioned this in your thread already, but how much are you paying for firebrick? It might be more economical to build the flue out of them as an alternative.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try Pivot stove company in Victoria (Geelong and Dandenong). They're cheaper than Abbey, but arrange you own freight rather than taking their quote.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Try Pivot stove company in Victoria (Geelong and Dandenong). They're cheaper than Abbey, but arrange you own freight rather than taking their quote.
David I have tried them they aren't far form me in Geelong I could drive there, they only do 900mm length duct. Don't do Stainless rain caps. I also am not wanting too join 2 pieces together, as to me it will look ugly. There pricing was over the $400 mark once you add the extra 2 pieces of flue to get the length I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Apologies if you mentioned this in your thread already, but how much are you paying for firebrick? It might be more economical to build the flue out of them as an alternative.
Yeah I agree it would be substantially cheaper [$3.30 per brick] Stonecutter, but because the oven is monolithic to look at the stainless steel flue I feel will soften the look whereas a brick chimney will add to the monolithic look. That's one of the reasons I am opening up my landing and having a full reveal at this point to me looks better.

Thanks again guys I actually found the Selkirk, Duratech flue systems in China where they cost about $100 + shipping for the 3 components needed, but I cannot find anywhere that I can buy just 1. If I could sus that out that would be the way to go.

My Build -