Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi Guys

Does anyone know if anyone as constructed a flared entry with a hemispherical inner and outer arch. I have been searching to no avail most seem to use a straight walls.

any help here is appreciated
Colin,

I also looked in doing the flared entry. I opted for making the reveal on the inner arch to a maximum. I thought the flare would be too complicated. I'm modeling my outer arches like the Mississippi Queen. My thoughts are this should allow better access with the oven tools and accomplish basically the same thing as a flared entry.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi guys wasn't going to load these up until I achieved more, but what the ......
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0800.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0801.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0802.jpg  

Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Colin,

I also looked in doing the flared entry. I opted for making the reveal on the inner arch to a maximum. I thought the flare would be too complicated. I'm modeling my outer arches like the Mississippi Queen. My thoughts are this should allow better access with the oven tools and accomplish basically the same thing as a flared entry.
The biggest limiting factors in accessing the oven are your inner arch and the depth of the entry. My experience in using my oven for a year is that it has not once crossed my mind that I would like a flared entry. I don't know that it delivers any real practical advantage. Leave enough of a reveal around the arch to fit a door in and you'll be fine. I have wished my entry and landing were shorter. I would shorten up the landing if I did it over again.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dennis

Yeah on thinking about the vent. and speaking with Doug last night. Thinking i will reconsider the flared arch based on consensus. Doug mentioned that he would have a bigger reveal say around 2" you have said you would shorten yours. I will go and recheck your thread.

I was thinking about running my landing arch around the inner arch [ full brick height ]. This would give a reveal of 115mm [ the height of the inner arch as it stands now ] and having the front of the landing before the decorative arch a little lower similar to what i know John is doing. Also tapering the front vent arch bricks to funnel the smoke. [Thanks Doug for that tip]

I know others haven't done this it was just a series of thoughts i have had when thnking it through.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What I meant is that I would shorten my landing, not the reveal. I think my reveal is probably and inch, and that works pretty well. My door is maybe 1/2 inch bigger than the inner arch on either side, which gives plenty of room to get the door into the opening without banging the edges of the vent. 115mm sounds like a lot of reveal. that's 9 inches total bigger than your inner arch? Mine is 2 inches total. Maybe 3, I can't remember off hand.

Distance to my oven is 9" for the entry+ another foot for the landing = 21". I would rather have that be 6" shorter, if I had planned better.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
What I meant is that I would shorten my landing, not the reveal. I think my reveal is probably and inch, and that works pretty well.
Thanks Dennis

the reveal point I was making was what Karangi told me last night that he would have made his 2-2.5" instead of an inch. I understood you would shorten the landing. That is interesting to know 15" is the figure to look at.

I checked out your build again - I want your rain cap they don't makem like that over here. I went to the guy who can help me with my flue issue [fabricator] now waiting on quote with baited breathe hoping it wont be ridiculously priced. He said i'd be better importing the Rain Cap first so he could manufacture to it. Do you know what finish grade the stainless steel cap is eg. 2b, No. 4 etc.

Now thinking I will import cap and then get flue made to the cap.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got it. Not sure what the grade of SS it is. It's the duravent 8'. It's probably 304 or 316 SS

Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dennis

Do you know any one in your area that ships to Australia?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi All

Ok thought I would take some daylight photo's of where I am at. After taking the angle grinder to the inside of the dome to knock of some rough edges and a few misaligned bricks.

Diamond cup wheels are grouse....
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0809.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0810.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0811.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0812.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0813.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-06-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

And

Having taken those edges off I think I will run a fine stone wheel over the surface, then wipe it down. Don't ask why I just think it cleans the old firebricks up revealing the surface just below.

The brick to brick internal look in spots is not quite there but close enough. Never mind,,, will run some sloppy fire cement and fire clay no sand to fill the small gaps. then buff it back with the stone wheel.

and yes I know its unnecessary......
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0814.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0815.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0816.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0817.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0818.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-06-2013 at 01:20 AM.