Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
I need some advice - I noticed yesterday a mortar joint failed in the arch [see first photo below]. Now I am wondering if it is worth grinding out some mortar and repointing it or leave well alone?
Hey guys.

Need to know what the consensus is on my question above.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0774.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Apprentice

Cant hurt to try can it, worst case scenario it will crack again.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thx Wayne

Yeah I thought that too but was hoping to hear naaahhhhh leave it alone. But will grind it out and re-point.

Thought I would post some photo's with the dome gauge back in place and was surprised how damn close it is to accurate, how easy it was to get it in. Looks like my dome is now at its maximum height with 5 and a bit courses left. Will need to cut a couple of bricks to thinner sizes to accommodate a reasonable sized Keystone.

With this weekend coming then 2 3 day weekends after that, hopefully will get to keystone or close over next 3 weekends. fingers crossed

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I have another question. I have noticed that some builds have placed some sort of tie on their domes to tie in the insulation blanket.

Is this necessary? if so how would you go about it in the situation that I am going to put a coat of Shiralite over the dome prior to the Blanket?
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0790.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0791.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0792.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0794.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0797.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-26-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work Collin. As far as the crack in the arch, I have one similar, yes I look at it then decide leave well enough alone, adds character plus it is on you inner arch too where it is not as obvious. Oven cook fine with or without the crack. But is up to you. I used rebar wire to hold down my insulation and then the chicken wire. I fasten the rebar wire to TapCons (concrete screw) drilled in at strategic spots. You can see the wire and chicken wire on my picassa link. Good job

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Russell rechecked your Picasso album - how much insulation did you use blanket, vermiculite?. Seems substantial. The tapcon screws are drilled into what? Mortar, brick?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

2 times 1.5" ceramic fiber blanket and 2-3" of perlcrete and 1/2-3/4" strucco. Drilled into concrete hearth about an inch from the dome or as close as I could because the screws would be covered the the CF and percrete. and on the sides at mortar joints. The screws are not set to hold the world just enough to add tension to the rebar wire to hold the CF and something for the chicken wire to fasten to.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/3...tml#post154110 (36inch build in Redlands)

PS that piece of SS for a thermal break looks very familiar...........

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-26-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Russell The cf Looks more than that. Must say am glad I got past the arch. Take grinder to inside hopefully this weekend. Think I will follow your lead with the tapcon and wire. Might have to rethink as I'm putting shiralite on first. Any suggestions? Do you see a problem with half inch chicken wire?

SS cost $10 and yes very familiar.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-26-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am not familiar with shiralite I remember you talking about it earlier in your thread. I only rendered my dome because I had some leftover homebrew materials as I was building the oven. My chick wire was 1" so 1/2" should be even better. Make yourself a curved float for your shiralite or perlite or vcrete, it helps alot to keep the shape of the dome consistent.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russel shiralite is similar to vermiculate perlite. Apparently when applied it looks like insulating brick.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Guys

Does anyone know if anyone as constructed a flared entry with a hemispherical inner and outer arch. I have been searching to no avail most seem to use a straight walls.

any help here is appreciated