Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
For sure
Gudday
I think you will find the term "breech birth" appropriate
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
I think you will find the term "breech birth" appropriate
Regards dave
The southern (USA) redneck translation for that medical term is "bassacards"

Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Master Builder

All You guys crack me up

Least it was a breach birth and not a plumbers crack

Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Master Builder

Hi Guys

Thought I would post some daylight photo's of where I am at. I haven't had a chance last 2 Saturdays to do anything on oven and only getting a half day each weekend for last 3 weeks. Would like to get past arch transition before I have two long weekends in July in a row.

Any tips [before morning] from all the experts [that have been at this point ] out there for tackling the next course would be greatly appreciated. I believe it is the course that will complete the dome arch transition.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0759.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0760.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0761.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0762.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0763.jpg  

My Build -
Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Master Builder

Slow progress today. Took me ages to work out the transition angles and dreaded droop with quite a few bricks trashed. Templates cut etc.

In the end I worked it out by using a straight brick instead of the arch brick and cut that to fit worked a treat. No droop no little brick bits or mass of mortar [except at back due to cutting back of brick off instead of tapering, put a wedge in to reduce mortar what you see is external]. I even managed to maintain the brick to brick internal fit. But only got one side of the arch done as I did some other stuff in garden while waiting for bricks to take hold.

My adjusted IT works a treat also to maintain height and I might get it permanently set up to do this especially on the lower courses that are left b4 getting vertical.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0764.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0765.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0766.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0769.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0767.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag0771.jpg  
Gulf and Bec1208 like this.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-23-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Journeyman

Really nice work. Looks fantastic. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great job!
I like how you are using the floor as a reference point to remain level across the arch. A guide clamped to the IT .

Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Great job!
I like how you are using the floor as a reference point to remain level across the arch. A guide clamped to the IT .
Thx Gulf

Had no choice I needed to work out what droop was doing [or going to do] so used the level to find out. Then thought why not clamp it to the IT. Work well to maintain the right height and level at transition point. Fluke really... wish I had have thought of it before the last course. Would not have had any droop at all.

My Build -
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Master Builder

Colin,
Just caught up on your thread, things are looking great. ………. By no means am I one of the experts around here. So this is probably only worth two cents………. I laid the bricks from center back to within one brick of the front arch. I then started with the center brick on the arch and worked to meet the other bricks, seemed to work well for me. I also used cardboard templates to help with cutting the bricks. Hope this helps.

I got scarred doing the ritual the way Russell and rsandler did. My version was the one arm and head version. I figured I could flag for help after the ladder fell, either way I would have probaly broken my back.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-sspx0041.jpg  

KB

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Master Builder

Well i'm now past the arch no droop and will finish this course over next weekend then get the grinder out and grind back some misaligned bricks.

Thx KB decided to do the arch transition first as once I set up IT with vertical height gauge it all made perfect sense so I thought I would get it out the way. Did take your advice on cardboard templates worked a treat and very accurate.

I need some advice - I noticed yesterday a mortar joint failed in the arch [see first photos below]. Now I am wondering if it is worth grinding out some mortar and repointing it or leave well alone?

Also decided time to clean working space, so vacuumed inside of dome, used air hose to get rid of all the dust, let that settle then hosed the deck with high pressure cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0774.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0777.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0779.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0780.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0784.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag0785.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.