Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hi

Damon more photos are always usful.

Russell i'm getting a quote from the UK for Selkirk flue. Guessing will be out of price range but I do not believe I cannot find a similar flue over here.

I tried the US Selkirk company but they refer back to the UK.

here is my guess of price 380pound + around 100 pound delivery so around 500 pound so around $704 aud. Considering a normal retail Aussie double skinned flue no insulation or twist lock or 316 stainless is about $300 AUD

Way too pricey or as you said spendy.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-17-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Master Builder

Hi all

Well after 3 weeks where I couldn't get to, getting back to, finishing the 3rd course I completed it today. So far I am maintaining the small joints I have for the most part but have made a couple of small errors [like answering the phone while trying to lay a brick and then it set not quite in the right place but left it there might run the angle grinder over it]. Also joints are bigger in a couple of places, but am mainly trying to get that brick to brick internal finish.

Tomorrow weather permitting 4th course, hopefully start of 5th course also. Getting the hang of the mortar now, works with a, not quite stiff whipped cream consistency, allowing the brick to be set and pushed in place. I dunk the bricks in a bucket of water first, and spray where I am laying twice prior to setting brick. Seems to be working well now.

I guess gravity will begin to take effect soon with the arch bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0656.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0659.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0660.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0662.jpg  

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-18-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice work!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Master Builder

well I got some more done today not as much as I wanted. I was not happy with some of the work I had done so took an angle to the inside. Quite effective actually, was able to get rid of the overlap [when brick placed over previous bond] quite easily. I also needed to get my circle back seemed to be out from one side to the other by about 5-10mm. Hence the angle grinder. Using the IT on this course to achieve that.

Am not looking forward to going higher as maintaining this internal zero mortar obsession might prove very difficult. Again lots of photos that I will replace with daylight shots when I get chance.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0668.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0669.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0670.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0671.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0672.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-19-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
That's the thing about getting hooked on this oven building thing.... You have your own time frame . Unlike any other thing in the house .. You don't have time pressures like a bathroom refit or a kitchen , just take your own time.
It's not like its going anywear it will just sit and wait for the time and energy.... It definitly not like the lawn mowing or car washing ... A have too task ...it just sits and waits for you
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Master Builder

Hi

Well I got course 4 finished [well nearly one brick either side of arch left] spent the day getting it back to round [yep cocked up not sure how]. I have a 8-10mm rebate on one side and overhang on the other course not aligning to the one below, on both sides of the arch, going back about 300-400mm from the arch.

It is back to round now, I will lay the next course, then take to the inside with an angle grinder and smooth things over removing the problem.

I have decided to do this to get rid of the T shape as I tried last week and it is easier than how Gianni described in his post [doing it on the brick saw]. Flap disks [metal]worked ok and less harsh than a stone cup wheel. Got a respirator to do this task.

Will post some photo's another time, as I've got new phone and need to work out how it works.

Cannot wait for Queens Birthday weekend think I'll take day off, pray for great weather and spend 4 days working on it. Hopefully getting past the arch dome transition.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-26-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
I have a 8-10mm rebate on one side and overhang on the other course not aligning to the one below, on both sides of the arch, going back about 300-400mm from the arch.
Didnt you see it when you were laying them?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Master Builder

HI Allan

Not until the 3rd course, Since I started at the back I only noticed as I got towards the arch. Decided to correct it on the forth course.

I think the problem is that the IT needs to be adjusted each course to match the dome template and I think I must have knocked it.

I'm not overly concerned as I can reshape inside as I described above, outside I don't care much about as obviously it gets covered and covered and coverered. I was always going to grind the T's inside the oven anyway, its just now it needs to be a little more severe.

Added some photos from weekend efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0686.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0687.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0688.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0689.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0690.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag0691.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-27-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Master Builder

and a couple more
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0003.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0004.jpg  

My Build -
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

Brick work looks nice and tight. I too had to adjust the IT length as well as grind some overlap off as I tied into the arch. Make your adjustments over a couple courses so it is spread out. You will be clearing the arch soon. Good work.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log