Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi dave

I know most just use a single flue length, but my thinking is the double skinned will operate better.
Oasiscdm,
It is still a little confusing. Are you referring to double walled pipe, or two sections of single walled pipe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi gulf

one 8" pipe inside a 10" pipe. Attached to plate at the vent and cowl and rain shroud at top. The outer skin insulates the inner active flue [also stops little handsies from getting burnt].

In australia they are called double skinned flues, we also have triple skinned flues used when going through a structure. I'm not going through a structure.

Hope that clears it up. I have searched every where and cannot find any examples. Search engine on forno is not that great useful but not great.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-13-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: new build in werribee

Gudday Colin
Double skinned chimneys are needed when Its used in a structure weather a house or pergola or inclosure to prevent the heat from pipe to the structure. There is a standard for this for sure .
2ndthing would be to prevent little hands from being burnt when they come in contact with the hot chimney.
The third thing they help (but not entirely)with is condensation. A steel chimney goes cold and condensation forms. It hangs up there along with the soot and lighting a fire only disturbs it and the whole wet mess will drop down usually killing the fire below. ( my Nan's wood stove suffered from it she always put a last stick of wood in it at night)
Hope something here helps
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

What i am after though is - has anybody in forno world attached a double skinned flue to and igloo style oven. I'm intersted in ideas for attaching it to the vent of a WFO.

The single flue is not a problem plenty of info on this in forno world, but its the double skin - 8" inside a 10" outer shell - attached to the vent landing, that i cannot find any information on. Any clues or ideas is what i am after.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oasiscdm,
I understand now. I "think" the reason that it is not common is related to the depth of the entry. I think that a an eight" single wall sits on a 12" anchor plate. I'm not sure if the double walled would also. This is above my pay grade so maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Apprentice

Did it come with an anchor plate?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Master Builder

Colin,

I used an anchor plate(aka spigot) which sits on top of my arch by way of a square transition section.from there the rest sits on top. Have a look at my build thread and I can post more pics if required.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Apprentice

In the end I didn't use an anchor plate. In constructing the outer brickwork on top of the entrance arch for the chimney/flue, I shaped the inside of the bricks to create a round cross-section to hold the stainless flue. This worked well as there is three bricks high, and it is mortared in as well. Doesn't move, and seems to draw and work well.

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
The Pirate Captain
Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Oasiscdm,
I understand now. I "think" the reason that it is not common is related to the depth of the entry. I think that a an eight" single wall sits on a 12" anchor plate. I'm not sure if the double walled would also.
Yeah Gulf I guess that's why I cant find much. most plates are 12" when I have have made enquiries. but must be a way and someone must have tried. Even a single brick landing with a half brick face added to the front plus the inner arch. will give me [230 + 115 + 75] 420mm in depth so I guess I could get a 400 mm plate made up allowing for the double skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne73 View Post
Did it come with an anchor plate?
I haven't purchased anything as yet just doing my due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Colin,
I used an anchor plate(aka spigot) which sits on top of my arch by way of a square transition section from there the rest sits on top. Have a look at my build thread and I can post more pics if required.
Yes I tried looking at what you are doing but the double flue inner and outer makes it just a tad different. yes and more pictures are always welcomed.

Craig, I might have to go down that route but I know a metal fabricator so I can get a plate made up to accept the 2 flues. I also want to be able to remove them easily if necessary. You know just in case.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-14-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi all who commented on the last discussion point re double skinned flues.

I think I have solved the problem I will get 2 chimney plates 1 for 10" and 1 for 8" and insert one into the other. Cut down the square portion of the 8" then get this welded together then surround with Brick work for support up too 3 courses high similar to Craig [boomers wfo] and others.

So do you think this sounds feasible?