Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

And finished and started the next course laying two bricks, arch bricks and loaded some more photos.

I also found out that if you try and knock them into place and they are a little tight, previously set and dried bricks will move arrrggghhhhhhhh

Didn't like this course made a few boo boos due to bricks being odd sizes, some joints are thicker than I was wanting, but next course will be better have a new strategy.

Also added photo from my break. A shot from Boyntons Winery whilst necking a bottle of red and nibbling on some bread, pate, cheese, olives and dips. That's mount buffalo in the back ground. Would be a great location for a very large commercial pizza oven.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0644.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0647.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0648.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0649.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0627.jpg  

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-11-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Journeyman

That's the first I have seen a form built like that, looks like it is working well. Does it come apart or will you let it burn in the end? By the way, your brick work looks a lot better then mine so far. Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Master Builder

Hi Bruce

I can interchange the form with my IT. I changed the form today so that it is two piece. The wood you see screwed to the side holds the two pieces together.

I will put wing nuts on so I can easily undo and interchange between the IT I needed the two form pieces when I get further up the dome, as you pointed out I would not have been able to get it out. I was going to use hinges might still do that.

I am going for very tight joints on my dome as I am cutting the bricks so I have a brick to brick fit internally. So far it is working took ages though to work out how to achieve this and allow 2-3 mm high temp mortar at the rear.

Also Bruce I had to use the form as the dome is lower than true hemispherical, my IT is adjustable so I have been laying a couple of Bricks using form then setting the IT to these bricks once dried and away I go. The pivot point is simply a 1inch nail though a turntable.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-11-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Journeyman

Very interesting approach. Look forward to watching your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

I am going for very tight joints on my dome as I am cutting the bricks so I have a brick to brick fit internally. So far it is working took ages though to work out how to achieve this and allow 2-3 mm high temp mortar at the rear.
Are you using hombrew or premix mortar. I am using a premix and could use any hints.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I am using a premix and could use any hints.
Are you still having trouble with the mortar Bruce?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Journeyman

Brickie, I will move this over to my thread. Thanks, Bruce

Old 05-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Master Builder

Hi guys

Well I got up early so I could lay a few bricks [Mothers day] and got 5 bricks layed in the time I had before I needed to go out. Was a waste of time as I was rushing and had to pull the last two up as the mortar was being sucked dry giving me not time to place.

Got bored when I got home late and decided to set some bricks up on the form to gauge the slop angles and get an idea of what it will look like pick below.

Looks like I will have a miniature plug if you look at the second photo there is a black mark just before the pencil line which marks the centre of the dome form. That black mark is about 15mm from centre line. So plug will be around 30mm or less at the top. Worked out if I turn the standard 75mm fire brick on course 9 into a split it will give me a bigger key.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0650.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0652.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-12-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Master Builder

Hi All

Does anyone know of any thread or WFO builder that attached a double skinned flue that didn't have a housing. Have been searching without success.

My Build -
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: new build in werribee

Gudday Colin
Sorry to ask .....what is the "housing" in relationship to a double skin flue?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Master Builder

Hi dave

What i meant was i am not enclosing the oven in a housing. It will be an igloo out in the weather.

I am trying to find anyone that has installed a double skinned flue to there vent. I havent been able to find any.

I know most just use a single flue length, but my thinking is the double skinned will operate better.

My Build -