Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Being the lazy barsteward that I am, I wouldnt cut any of them.
Seriously, the inside joint is paper thin where it counts against the heat, the outside pfffff, who cares, just bog it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Laborer

Hey Colin,

Nice work so far mate. That's quality work!!

How much was the Hebel Wall Panel? That idea briefly crossed my mind when I was thinking about the stand but I didn't follow through with it.

Another tip for the arch forms if nobody has already mentioned it.

Nail or clamp two pieces of plywood together. Then mark out the arch and cut it out with a jigsaw. unclamp or pull out the nails and there you have it. Two pieces exactly the same size. I also drilled the holes for the screws while they were clamped together. That way they should join up nicely when you screw it all together.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Master Builder

Hi Matt

From memory the hebel panel was around the $75 mark x 2. The blocks for the stand were $7.20 each x 40 [600x150x200].

Probably much dearer than besser blocks + concrete fill etc., and a concrete hearth, but i will say this.... much much easier to work with.

Thanks for the compliment had to take a pause from work for R and R hopefully back to it this week. Joints got a little bigger than wanted on the next course [havent taken photos yet]. So have STOPPED taken stock, to work that out, to get back on track. When i say bigger got to 4 mm some bricks were a little narrower making this more awkward. I have worked out if i sort the bricks i can use common sizes throughout.

Thats what i did with my inner arch but had some serious issues with my jigsaw. Bloody used the wrong blade and it did not quite handle the thickness very well, cutting more on an angle which i think Bricky picked up in one of my earlier photos.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Master Builder

Hi Russell

Now i'm curious i have noticed a template you have used to allow you to form the outer shape [perlite/vermi layer] and now a round float.

I also noticed that you have used silver foil or something similar what is this? --------as i was thinking of using sisalation [as we call it over here, lines the frame of houses] over the cermamic blanket too but noticed not many do use this.

Is this necessary? Why did you use it?
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-oven.jpg  

My Build -
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

Now i'm curious i have noticed a template you have used to allow you to form the outer shape [perlite/vermi layer] and now a round float.
Check Gulfs build out for the ultimate in vermicrete formers. (Mississippi 44") (Page 22 and on...)

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-07-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

I copied Gulf's process as far as a template but used it more as a eyeball gauge. The curved trowel, which was attached in Gulf's build but separate in my build but the idea is the same. I just eyeballed mine more.

The reinforced foil came on my CF that I bought, it is Superwool that was enclosed in a foil cover. It caused quite a bit of discussion as I was installing. Look at my thread to see. In the end I ended up perforating the foil so any moisture could migrate out. I took stock in the advice of Forum members.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Guys

Interesting reading is Gulfs build. I intend using shiralite 25-30mm layer immediately over the dome when finished then applying the Ceramic Blanket 50mm [? 75mm].

I believe shiralite is a mix of perlite vermiculate refractory cement and something else that makes it quite a smooth finish. Just add water and apply.

Argghhh mothers day this weekend wont get anything done again.

My Build -
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check the insulating value of the shiralite. I think you will find the blanket is a much better insulator. You are best to use the blanket first then the shiralite.it will even out the lumps and bumps in the blanket and make the outer shell easier to do.
Shiralite is a fancier version of vermicrete.

Last edited by david s; 05-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Master Builder

Hi david

Was thinking someone would comment on that. I actually spoke with a furnace/oven builder, and we had a lengthy discussion about this [which order]. The conclusion revolved around compression of the blanket and some other factors i just cannot recall. I haven't decided yet, but what i was told made sense. The shirlite first might also aid in crack prevention. But i do understand about maintaining the shape but am sure i could achieve that with render and gauge like gulf and russell used.

My Build -
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Master Builder

HI all

Well back onto the oven after 3 weeks of ....well....... nothing oven related, some r and r, my little girl leaving to go to London town for I don't know how long but up to 2 years [will miss her very much], my birthday and back at work. One good thing, the boss of all things bought me an infrared thermometer for my birthday. Did well 1200c unit. Will post photos of progress later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0601.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0641.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0642.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0643.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-10-2013 at 11:41 PM.