Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hi Damon

The waterproof cardboard were just separators between pavers on a pallet, i had delivered and kept just in case i needed to use them. Had it prior to, having, even a thought of a WFO. Have used it to cut the templates, dome sizing, and many other uses. Quite handy. I have the ply template as you have seen but am using the cardboard one for quick checks and around the arch tranistion.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Finished cutting the brick cap for the chimney and slotted out the bottom for the anchor plate. Installed 1/4" x 2" RedHeads for the plate mount and I have a tube of refractory caulking that I will put under the plate then the brick capon top. Heading for some R and R for a week then serious curing starts. Everyone have a nice holiday weekend and wishing the best for our WFOs affected by Issac.
Russell if you see this (from your build) what are red heads for the mount?

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Colin,

It is brand name for a concrete anchor bolt. I know some builds have been using TapCons which are concrete screws too. How's the build coming along?
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-red_head_anchor.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: new build in werribee

Gudday Colin
How are you dealing with excess mortar on the face of the brick resting on the arch guide?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Master Builder

Thx Russell and Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hi Colin,
It is brand name for a concrete anchor bolt. I know some builds have been using TapCons which are concrete screws too. How's the build coming along?
Russell we call them dynabolts over here, but stainless steel ones I think I will try and find some, I have been on r and r and gone to Bright for the autumn festival, so only completed part of the next course before leaving, my daughter is heading to England for two years. Had to stop oven work to prepare for going away party, will have a day when I return before back to work (paid) to hopefully get that course finished and next at least started this coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Colin
How are you dealing with excess mortar on the face of the brick resting on the arch guide?
Regards dave
Dave haven't thought about it but guessing I will try to make little mess as possible. If there is mortar i will use a flap disk fine grit on angle grinder to get residue off.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-30-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 AM
Master Builder

Hey Russell

Did you take photos or can you remember the angles of tilt over the last 6 courses on your jig. Using deejayoh, spreadsheet calculator they make reference to up to 80 degrees, in around 7 deg increments as you go up. That seems massive to me making the tilt on the jig almost vertical. Does not make sense. I'm not saying his measurement are wrong but can't see it. Guessing I will though. Any comments are appreciated.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-30-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Colin
Tend to see these things visually. I think Karagi dudes method is a good one.
Basically it's take the measurement of the bottom of the inverted V between 2 bricks and cut it all off one brick. Thus it should fit into the first uncut brick
Or if you want to cut both bricks to form a more vertical joint ...1/2 the measurement off both. As the rows of brick get higher if course 1/4 bricks need to be used stop the gape at the bottom becoming to large.
I'm of course not an expert by any means on brick cutting having built mine with angle grinder and bulster, but I do know a lot about gapes my oven has plenty of all types( thank god for three things , the mortar at the back, gravity & domes being self supporting!
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

My Picassa album has all the pics I took there a some of each course. My build was prior to DJ's spreadsheet. I used a different table which was done by JCG31, the tables or spreadsheet get you in the ball park and since every build has it own variables you have to make adjustments that fit your build. Just take your time and again, don't pre-cut a whole course, do 4-5 see how they fit and adjust as needed. The width of the bricks become smaller, as small as a 1/4 brick. Patience is the key, grasshopper!!!
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-bevel-20chart3.jpg   new build in werribee-53h-mod-8.10.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Guys

Just Relaxing In BRight, Trying Hardest To Get A Signal, Thinking About All Those Things Oven Related. Hmmmmmmm A Week Off Could Have Got 4 To 5 Done.

I Will Mull Over These Comments. As I Have 3 Days Left.

My Build -
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Master Builder

Colin I found the "cut one side only" method does work. It becomes tricky when making adjustments, I found myself cutting too much angle which means the front face "turns" in. Still though my saw blade has done half the work.