Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hi

Bought some lights on a stand from bunnies today so I can check things out at night. Also covered the area with a temporary cover. I am also thinking of adding an adjustable depth gauge to the IT to enable the height to be consistent on the lower courses.

I attached a string line to the middle of both the dome template and IT [the IT is adjustable] as per Johns [Octoforno] post I mentioned in the previous message.

I'm using a bevel and have set this to the string line and marked the Bevel at 115mm [brick width]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Brett,

Start your arch by cutting the center-top brick. Use your indispensible tool (or a piece of string) to figure out the upper angle. Use the profile of your dome template to figure out the lower angle. (OctoForno post #34). Once you have these angles figured out go ahead and cut the rest of your arch bricks, but only the tapers, not the inside radius. If your bricks are tapered this is one less step for you.

Once all your bricks are tapered and held in place with shims, scribe a line using your IT/string from the back of your center-top brick to the back of your last brick on either side where it meets the dome. This will give you the cut line for the inside of your arch.

Match the top and bottom angles from the center-top brick for each adjoining brick and you're there.

John

I have taken a couple of photo's re arch transition based on those comments on John's thread. I think i'm on the right track here any confirmation would be good. John mentions scribing a line in this post this is the only thing I don't get.

Any assistance welcomed...
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0586.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0589.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0582.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-14-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin
Very nice cuts and tidy. I want tyou to look at the vertical intersection of your template and the arch and compare to John's (giannif) on his #34 post. Notice how the bottom of his tapered arch intersects his arch form. This is how you made the seamless transition from the course to the arch. Take a look.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russel nice to ear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Colin
Very nice cuts and tidy. I want tyou to look at the vertical intersection of your template and the arch and compare to John's (giannif) on his #34 post. Notice how the bottom of his tapered arch intersects his arch form. This is how you made the seamless transition from the course to the arch. Take a look.
Yeah i know what you mean. The situation is that i am using a flatter dome if you go back to a previous post where i layed out the bricks to determine my Dome Template. I followed Gianni's guide and when you cut the template you get that gap. Where the Dome template intersects lower down the arch form. When palcing the Bricks in position on the arch they still intersect further back along the template.

See Previous pictures page 20 post 197 - I am assuming this is ok as it is an outcome of the shape of Dome [and height of arch form 12.5"] based on the arch bricks i am using for the build. The assumption i'm making is the brick needs to intersect the arch at that point.

If [Russel] you can see anything wrong with this logic please let me know

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-14-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin -
I built a flatter dome and because of the shape of the dome, the cut away changes as you go higher up the dome. See my picture below
new build in werribee-415900_3442594740070_620169088_o.jpg

Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Its a course Col, the yanks use chains......
That may be a term used by yanks. I am not to sure about that though. I think that I remember my Yankee uncle from Ohio calling it a course. But we southerners definitely use the term "course"
brickie in oz likes this.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
That may be a term used by yanks. I am not to sure about that though. I think that I remember my Yankee uncle from Ohio calling it a course. But we southerners definitely use the term "course"
The war still going is it?
Bacterium likes this.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dennis

Was Looking At That Photo last Night Dennis.

That's how i believe mine will end up. I think Russel is referring to the triangle where the dome template meets the arch in previous photos.

Lining the TDC brick up with the face of the Arch Form pushes the brick back into the oven engaging the Dome Template [slightly lower/flatter Dome at that point]. Is this ok as you see it.

I'm not to sure then how to work out the scribing bit spoken of in your's and Johns conversation about this on your and his thread. I will cut that TDC brick during the week and dry lay the Arch with Shims.

Am I On The Right Track.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Apprentice

Hi Colin

Because you are building a flatter dome I don't think you should use the string. It is giving you the angle if you are building a hemispherical dome. Just make it a right angle with the line traced from the dome form and it will be ok.

Just picture it as if you had laid any other brick in the dome. One surface is the inside of the dome and the other (the top one) is ready for you to lay the next course (or chain ) on.
deejayoh likes this.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
I'm not to sure then how to work out the scribing bit spoken of in your's and Johns conversation about this on your and his thread. I will cut that TDC brick during the week and dry lay the Arch with Shims.

Am I On The Right Track.
what I did there was figured out the TDC brick and the brick at the beginning of the arch, and then I drew a line between the two to approximate the face of the intersection. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close. Certainly close enough that any error could be covered up with mortar.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Hi Colin

One surface is the inside of the dome and the other (the top one) is ready for you to lay the next course (or chain ) on.
Like that one .

Hi Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Hi Colin
Because you are building a flatter dome I don't think you should use the string. It is giving you the angle if you are building a hemispherical dome. Just make it a right angle with the line traced from the dome form and it will be ok.

Just picture it as if you had laid any other brick in the dome. One surface is the inside of the dome and the other (the top one) is ready for you to lay the next course (or chain ) on.
Thanks Sharkey
Yes i went back and looked at your last comments [your diagram on my photo] and marked my bevel at 115m will try the right angle [off the Dome Template intersection] when i get home tonight. One question though i am using arch bricks 75/65 at that level of dome, so might not be a right angle, any thoughts?

Might even cut the TDC brick although might be a little late for the neighbours noise wise but what the heck its only one brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
what I did there was figured out the TDC brick and the brick at the beginning of the arch, and then I drew a line between the two to approximate the face of the intersection. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close. Certainly close enough that any error could be covered up with mortar.
Ok thanks Dennis. The face of the intersection. Is this the point where the inside of dome and top of dome meet? i.e. the 2 angles.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-16-2013 at 04:09 AM.