Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: new build in werribee

Gudday Colin
I have been reading your post with interest your determined to master this your planning is spot on and you mentors impeccable.
But the devil sometimes is in the detail. You are a visual person I'd recon and perhaps it's time to get a bit visual. Get yourself a big hunk of paper or raid a fridge box from the local electrical store. Drawn the dome full size full thickness brick. Draw a section of your oven split down the middle back to entrance. Fit the entrance hieght you need into the curve of the dome and you'll see where the dome and the entrance intersect.
Then get the drawings out of the way go back to the iIT and dome calculator and
Make it happen ....
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Thx Dave for that encouragement boy was that needed..

this has been doing my head in since the weekend especially after I made that dome template to follow the contour i'm looking for. You are spot on also about me being visual.

What you have suggested I have been doing with my son tonight- as you must have been writing your post - Using the dome template you see in the previous picture and a cardboard profile version of my arch template cut in half @ TDC, so I can run it back and forth until the two match.

I have worked out that APOTHEM DJO was referring to, at 434mm [thx Dennis I hope this is right]. Did this using some pictures of what I was trying to calculate and with DJO explanation and a little Pythagoras.

I now just need some daylight to test it out put it in practice and get that alignment right.

Thanks again Dave, Sharkey, Dennis and Damon

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-04-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Thx Dave for that encouragement boy was that needed..

this has been doing my head in since the weekend especially after I made that dome template to follow the contour i'm looking for. You are spot on also about me being visual.

What you have suggested I have been doing with my son tonight- as you must have been writing your post - Using the dome template you see in the previous picture and a cardboard profile version of my arch template cut in half @ TDC, so I can run it back and forth until the two match.

I have worked out that APOTHEM DJO was referring to, at 434mm [thx Dennis I hope this is right]. Did this using some pictures of what I was trying to calculate and with DJO explanation and a little Pythagoras.

Thanks guys/mentors this is so much appreciated, I now just need some daylight to test it out put it in practice and get that alignment righ

Thanks again Dave, Sharkey, Dennis and Damon
Gudday
Now you have Pythagoras as a mentor as well!! I suppose those old Greeks could build ovens
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi dave lol think i'm getting it, daylight will reveal all.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM
Master Builder

Colin - you are really onto something here.

I was going through some pics of my first build and thought others might find some humour in the "template" I made out of garden edging.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-floor1.jpg  
brickie in oz and SpottedFrog like this.

Last edited by Bacterium; 04-05-2013 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi all

Well I think I have the transition worked out, Dave was right visuals work better. Thought I would get the IT and dome template sorted and ready to begin laying some bricks and moving on up that Dome.

I have included pictures of the method i'm using for interchanging the IT and Dome Templates if any one out there is interested. I still have to cut the Dome template into 2 or 3 pieces so I can fold it inside the dome to remove. will just be using duct tape to achieve this, if that doesn't work will attach some hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0555.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0557.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0558.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0559.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0560.jpg  

Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And some more photo's to complete the set.

I have one question the arch bricks work out quite well without a central brick. Should I leave it or do as in the second photo on this page? I will move the smaller cuts lower down or shave some off each brick.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0561.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0562.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0563.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
And some more photo's to complete the set.

I have one question the arch bricks work out quite well without a central brick. Should I leave it or do as in the second photo on this page? I will move the smaller cuts lower down or shave some off each brick.
Why, do want a central brick?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Why, do want a central brick?
Hi Allan

That's why i'm asking the question! Do I need one, or leave it as in the first picture...

Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You dont "need" one, its your choice.