Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Colin,
Fyi those bricks are sitting on CaSi not my concrete hearth.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did something similar to Russel - used Insulated firebrick splits under my stainless steel and a piece of Soapstone that is my landing.
new build in werribee-wp_000089-1-.jpg
I just got the landing fully installed in front of that today... the picture was taken last August

I think there has been some discussion of how well Granite will handle the heat of a landing - I would do some searching on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-30-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks again.

Hey Deejayoh, that looks great [you photos] and I was doing the search on Granite Landing while you were typing the message.

Russell it did look like it was on your concrete base. I am trying to avoid having Calsil in landing area as I am concerned with the oven being out in the weather as I do not intend covering the area [at this point]. I have been told that calsil can perish if it stays wet.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi all

Not that I felt like it today [big night at Bruce Springsteen at Hanging Rock what a great concert. Have to be one of the best showmen I have seen] after a couple of big nights and days. But, I got the calsil down this afternoon taking Doug's advice and used the Hebel adhesive to bed it in.

I made a little faux paux , forgetting to allow for the base arch bricks when cutting the Calsil. Not to worry though I kept the offcuts so easily fixed .

All looking good thus far. But that is enough for today, am going for a SNAP [short nap] or nanna nap whatever your persuasion is .
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0537.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0538.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0540.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-31-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

How thick is 16 guage?
I think its about 1.6mm

Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I think its about 1.6mm
Thanks Allan

I did some googling the other night and I get different answers, 1.59 in one or two cases but mainly 1.29 when looking at conversion. So I will go with 1.3 or 1.6 .

Goes to show google doesn't always work.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-31-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

So I will go with 1.3 or 1.6 .
Ya cant buy 1.3mm thick steel

Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,
You are correct on CaSi does not like exposure to weather/water. My Ca Si is sitting on 2" of FoamGlas which in not affected by water and then I veneered the FoamGlas and CaSi with a firebrick veneer (abt 1.25" thick) which were left over cut offs from my build. Tip, make sure you shim arch form to add release or you won't get the form out. Save the form for a future door template.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-57-vent-arch-done-8.15.12.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Colin,
You are correct on CaSi does not like exposure to weather/water. My Ca Si is sitting on 2" of FoamGlas which in not affected by water and then I veneered the FoamGlas and CaSi with a firebrick veneer (abt 1.25" thick) which were left over cut offs from my build. Tip, make sure you shim arch form to add release or you won't get the form out. Save the form for a future door template.
Hi Russell and thanks.

My plan is to use the stainless steel 100*50 stuffed with calsil since I have some scrap. Layed flat at this point in front of the inner arch door side, I will then have a vertical piece of calsil cut to height dependent on the granite (probably 25mm) thickness. I will use the firebrick tiles and some fire brick splits to bring the rest of the landing to the right height. I will have no calsil forward (other than 50mm) of the thermal break. The granite will be flat and come down the front edge of the landing so it looks like a monolithic piece of granite.

Haven't forgotten the shims, was just lining the arch up.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine was 0.065", so 1.6mm thick, if that helps