Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Point taken but 3mm tube is pretty thick and conductive, wouldn't a thinner one be better? I make my thermal break using vermicrete between the outside of the entry and the outer decorative arch. At that position it does not get hot enough to destroy the Portland, if further in I would use calcium aluminate and vermiculite.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Exposed vermiculite in the oven sounds like a bad idea to me

Both vermiculite and perlite are good for up to 1100C and when mixed with the appropriate cement, depending on the temperature they will be subjected to, perform ok from my experience.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Both vermiculite and perlite are good for up to 1100C and when mixed with the appropriate cement, depending on the temperature they will be subjected to, perform ok from my experience.
I should say, my comment was mostly based on appearance and composition. I'm sure it is fine in an arch, but it's crumbly and stains. I wouldn't want it on my floor.

Agree a thinner walled tube is better. I think I used 16 gauge or something like that. 304 or 316 doesn't matter. IIRC That is mostly about workability, and you aren't going to do much but cut it to length

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree the stainless looks better and would be more durable for the floor. The downside is that it is quite expensive and can't be used easily in a curved arch. i use 5:1 vermicrete and when compressed at its surface like you would when pointing a brick joint, does not leave a crumbly surface.

Colin, if you already have the stainless section then use it, otherwise consider getting one or fabricating it in thin stuff (0.55 mm usually) or do the cheap version of vermicrete.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gee thanks guys didn't think it would spark that.

But very interesting advice. David, sorry mate dont like the idea of vermiculate break i did notice you commented on that option on another thread. My reasoning is Russell used the stainlees steel option and deejayoh did also, my reasoning was as Deejayoh noted around neatness and aesthetics.

I haven't bought it yet. you can only get tube at 80 x 40, 100 x 50, 50 x 50 @ 3mm or i think the guy said 1.5mm is available too. Shit i wanted 5mm now i'm being told .5 mm. ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post

Agree a thinner walled tube is better. I think I used 16 gauge or something like that.
How thick is 16 guage?

I was concerned that thinner would WARP for those that used stainless has anyone experienced any warping?

By the way it's not that dear but i have to buy 1 metre minimum, 100 x 40 is $56 50 x 50 $28 for 304. I didn't get a price on 316, but will use that if its not that much dearer.

No comment made on stuffing it with calsil board is there any reason not too?

Have also loaded photos of the last couple of cuts on the base.

I have also finally cut the calsil board to size and decided to terminate it for now at the front of the arch was going to run it all the way out to front arch but am concerned about that as the oven will not be covered thus open to the weather. So looking for alternative for the landing in vent area. Thinking of finishing with a slab of Polished Granite....With probably the 75mm tiles under it cemented to the hebel. Does anyone think this will work ok?
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0529.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-31-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"No comment made on stuffing it with calsil board is there any reason not too?"

I presume it would be sealed so air won"t be moving through it, but stuffed with insulation would be better than not.
Heat will travel from one side of the pipe to the other by convection, but there will also be considerable heat travelling from one side to the other by radiation, both of which would be considerably reduced by the insulation The thicker the walls of the pipe are, the more heat will travel there by conduction, so a thin walled pipe would be the better option. If using a pipe you won't get any expansion joint advantage as the pipe is not flexible.

Last edited by david s; 03-31-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,
I did put a piece of 316 ss rectangular tubing as a thermal break in the floor as you know. I happen to find this tubing at a surplus resturant supply store. It was leg on a damaged SS prep table. I picked up for $5. Most commercial restaurant prep equipment is high quality SS. Might check a boneyard of a surplus restuarant supply store as a source. I cannot say if you pay $50 for your tubing if the cost warrant the benefits but it looks nice.

Just a tip, as you build your dome and stagger your brick joints place your best work on the back half. This is the only real visable part when you are done. IE, if the smaller brick was on the next course up I would move it towards the front half. Make all your corrections and odd size brick adjustments on the front half. Then it looks like the whole dome is perfect when people peek in when you are cooking pizza!!!
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-31-thermal-break-6..1.12.jpg   new build in werribee-31a-thermal-break-6.1.12.jpg  
SpottedFrog likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looked it up I used 0.5" x 1.5" x 0.065" 304 stainless and it was $12. I know stuff is dear in Oz, but $50? I ordered from onlinemetals.com, and I know they are expensive compared to local shops.

the calsil stuffing is not necessary, air is a fine insulator for narrow spaces.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

In Australia we have virtually no manufacturing sector, almost everything is imported. We are further away from most of our suppliers and freight charges are horrendous. Added to that competition is smaller because of our lower population and everyone wants to be a millionaire. This means that we pay way more for stuff than you would in the US. I paid $8 for a 375 bottle of beer at the bar at the Perth airport recently, even though our $AUS is worth more than the $US.
I agree that there is little to be gained by filling the pipe with insulation, but if it is spare, might as well use it. It would still make an improvement, because it will stop heat radiating from one side of the pipe to the other internally.

Last edited by david s; 03-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks to one and all.

Will go looking for some scrap SS tube from somewhere, I get the point that air is ok but think I might stuff it with some calsil I have left over and then seal the ends.

Thanks Russell for posting those photo's has given me an idea that I will use the fire brick tiles directly on the Hebel and put a 50mm Polished Granite landing in place depending on price. If I have to go thinner Granite I will get some splits too get the height right in the landing.

Hey Doug [Karangi Dude] what size was the Granite Landing proposed for the Barrel you are consulting on, how deep thick shape am thinking flat but with a 125mm front face covering the firebricks any other ideas i.e. not using firebrick underneath due to possible cracking of the granite etc would be appreciated.

My Build -