Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Colin just been reading the saw detail.........that front handle mmmmm not so sure. Is it in line with the blade or below the blade path?
Hi Damon

The Handle is below the saw line. I have while practicing determined i wont use it as it doesnt feel right. It is easier to hold the side of the tray as Brickie pointed out.

The handle is useful to carry the tray around when off the saw.

Pictures of Brick jig [On Growth Hormones LOL Russell] below. Sorry took them at night. Now its been made to look nice its time to dirty it up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Yes, I use a stainless steel sleeve around mine to protect it. But make sure that the probe does not touch the sleeve.
Hi David

These tubes/sleeves will not have permanent thermocouples. I was looking at poking it down the tube should i wish to check the temp, but only when needed. SO am not sure how i will prevent it from touching the side of the sleeve when poking it in. I intended capping the sleeves with a threaded cap when not in use.

I will put a permanent TC under the floor. Any tips on where to source these thermocouples, have rung a couple but not impressed. I have found this site, but there are so many options i did notice a ceramic thermocouple on the site but do not know enough to know which option to go with.

TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0489.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0490.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0491.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-13-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It depends what type of probe you have. Some have porcelain insulators around the wires some not. I did have some trouble with the probe giving a false (high) reading if the tip touched the stainless sleeve. The other solution is to use a porcelain sleeve, like kilns have, but they are vulnerable to breakage.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It depends what type of probe you have. Some have porcelain insulators around the wires some not. I did have some trouble with the probe giving a false (high) reading if the tip touched the stainless sleeve. The other solution is to use a porcelain sleeve, like kilns have, but they are vulnerable to breakage.
Hi David

They had some ceramic thermocouples at that site i pointed to. I was hoping to put in some stainless sleeves and use a hand held Thermocouple[except for under the floor]. I will make some more enquiries. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-13-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi all

Just thought i would post some daylight photos of brick jig/tray before it gets all dirtied up.

One question, how will the tappered bricks effect the calculations of tilt and angle from the Dome Spreadsheet Calc, assuming the bricks are cut as you can see it sitting on the Jig in the photo's. They are 75/63 bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0492.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0493.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0494.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0495.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-14-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Why not just cut them in half, they are already tapered to suit?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Master Builder

Then you won't get your saw dirty

Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

LOL guys.

Hi Allan/Damon

I thought i discussed this when i picked up the bricks.... Hmmm maybe not .

I am wanting to keep my mortar joints to minimal size, i am looking for more a bnck to brick fit. Just me being me. I want to maintain very small joints. Not sure if i acn achieve it but wil do my best to make the attempt.

I like having projects [not interetested in finishing them quickly] and in this case happy to take whatever time it needs. Once this is finished i will be struggling to find other things to do around the house. So i need to make this one last so if i have to cut each brick exact then i will give it my best effort

My deck is a good example a tradie would just get it done within a price to spec and regs. I have over engineered it more stumps than needed, deeper holes than needed, stronger concrete than needed [premixed] for the peers etc. I'm not a tradie but very handy.

I am working to the scenario that mortar should not have to be used, if bricks are cut accurately. Something i read on this site somewhere.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know what you mean, my goal was tight joints although not mortarless. Did it make a difference, who knows, but being a perfectionist it gave me a standard to shoot for. Look at Les's build, it is really a prime example of a tight fit mortarless build. Be prepared to spend alot of time at the saw though.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russell

Am aiming for around 2-3mm. Not sure if I will achieve it but can only try. That is why I recreated your jig, making it infinitely adjustable and lockable to the millimeter.

Haven't looked at les build but will. Thanks for that.

Had a look found only from the 7th course. Where might I find the start of his build????

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=)

Once this is finished i will be struggling to find other things to do around the house. So i need to make this one last so if i have to cut each brick exact then i will give it my best effort :.[/QUOTE]

Gudday
Finishing the dome is just the start you'll have many more things to occupy your time ... Finish, peels ,doors paving,benches the list can be as long as you like

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door