Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New build in Adelaide - total rookie in need of help!

If it were me, I would remove (what ever it took of the retaining wall and fill) to fit the back of my oven stand. I really think in this case that you need to build the stand up from firm subsoil.

Also, (with the proper insulation) your oven will only be at ambient temperature outside the finished render. Maybe just a little warmer until it is completely dry.

Just Say'n

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi

Re photos, you don't need to take photos in landscape only. On your phone or computer where the photo is stored simply click and hold the photo right click with mouse, and edit the photo and you will see a rotate option. Rotate it then save. And reload into the post.

I concur with gulf, I would make it to size from the ground up by cutting into the retaining wall. Cantilever will work I did this in my build with the base slab and hearth base made with hebel to get the correct size. So I didn't need to compromise oven dynamics eg. Short vent area.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How about sketching a plan with dimensions and post that. Just take a photo of plan

Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Apprentice

Your space looks very similar to mine. I decided to go with a 36" oven due to space limitations. I knocked out my retaining wall and will build it starting on ground level. Here is the shape I went with:
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Apprentice

Guess I screwed that up. Here is the link instead of a super big pic: http://n8sbar.servebeer.com/wp-conte...ar-layout1.jpg
Old 01-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Serf

Sorry for huge time delay, family stuff, procrastination and confusion got in my way. Decided to bite the bullet and get on with it!

My space is an upside-down house shape. It's got odd angles and lengths all over the place. Basically the back corner (upside-down house roof if you will) is 1100mm one side, 950 on the other side, the "walls" are 1000 one side and 800 the other, and 1400 from one side to the other.

Will build right up to the edge, using glue-mortar to fix the first layer of bricks under the 'vestibule' (entrance). Planning on doing a layer of vermiculite or perlite/concrete layer the same thickness of the bricks, applying this straight to the concrete slab (which sits on the retainer wall directly - so is thermal mass central if the perlite/vermiculite doesn't do its job).

After that will hunt for bricks/pavers to do the base and then the dome, but haven't settled on that yet, leaning towards firebrick paver base and 'pressed red' brick dome. Does this sound like a decent plan?

I know lots of people put an insulating board inbetween the perlite & concrete slab, how necessary is this? (hoping you'll say "not very").
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
950mm will still give you room for a 700 mm oven if the entrance doesn't face that way you could go to 750 mm.
With insulation an except able level is 100mm of pearlite and cement (6 to 1) on the base or 50mm of insulation board. On the dome again 100mm of pearlite and cement (8 to 1) or 50 mm of ceramic blanket is the standard. Off course if you add more its a bonus rather than a have to .
A firebrick hearth for durability is well worth the extra bucks . A brick common dome will work though as there many ovens that use them.
Again like your first answers don't forget your waterproof layers, its double important that you put them in
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Serf

Cheers Cobb,

Waterproof layers? (as in plural?)

I'd presumed there was only one waterproof layer, the final render on top of the perlite/concrete insulation layer.

Also, how much perlite/vermiculite do you need for a base & top coat? I see it comes in 20 litre bags, how many bags would I need do you think?

Thanks heaps for your advice, will post up photos as soon as progress is made.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Yes that's waterproofing layers plural . One underneath the concrete slab and one on top of that, underneath the insulation. Your building on ground , there is no margin of error, no stand.
As for the pearlite, forget the 20 litre bags you have to find the 100 litre ones. They should cost you $30 to $40 a bag. Check out agricultural suppliers, farmers Co-Op stores and hydroponic suppliers.
1 ltre should produce 100mm2 but add water and cement and the volume decreases as the particles slip together. Add 20 per cent to be safe.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-02-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Laborer

dont worry too much about how close to the fence you are, as a properly insulated oven there will be little to no heat out the outside of the igloo, unless its different in your warmer climate than to here in the uk! although you will need to leave enough room to be able work around the oven for applying the stucco or you'll find it a right pain!

keith
david s, cobblerdave and oasiscdm like this.

my door,