Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

I don't have an insulated door yet. As I need to learn to weld.

However I will monitor my temps. Tonight I fired oven. Closed sure temp around, 420c
Without an insulating door. Internal brick temp 460c external brick temp 380c

I expect in around 2 hours to have a temperature around 400c which will drop consistently around 60c each day.
Lancer likes this.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey guys I'm curious with your heat retention figures. after pizza I Chuck 3 more pieces of wood in. Let it burn for around 90 minutes. Remove the fire, now I haven't got a door but use some hebel and Calsil, in entrance.

Following day I get around 300 - 350c, from there it drops around 60c per day.
G'day Colin
Sounds like you oven is working well that's a pretty impressive set of figures.
I used to believe you went hell fire with the temps and then cooked to the pattern of the oven as it cooled. In practical terms its frustrating and inconvenient to wait till things cool.
You only get out of an oven what you put into it.... So these days I tend not to put as much heat in. It's not about the wood its more about the convenience of being able to use the oven when you need to. It's easy to bring a cooling oven up to the temps you want than have to wait for a super saturated one to cool.
The main temps I'm interested in these days are the ones on the floor and that 150 mm above cause that's were the food is.
In saying that I still fluff it and get the temp wrong. That's why they invented trivets and aluminum foil for!
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-07-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with you Dave. It would be a drag to have to wait for a couple of days until the oven was cool enough to bake your bread. To save time and fuel I regularly fire my oven for only one hour exactly. At that point the dome has usually started to clear at the top and not much fuel has been used and not very many coals produced. If doing a roast I wait, with the door off, until the temperature has dropped to around 270 C. I then place the roast and door it, although the heat has not properly penetrated right through it is still plenty to cook a roast.The temperature drops off faster as the heat is still soaking deeper into the walls and floor, but that works pretty well for most roasting situations, start hot and finish cooler. Or if baking a few loaves of bread, I wait a little longer with the door off until the temperature drops to 220 C then place the bread and door it.
Using the oven this way allows roasting or baking after getting home from work.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Master Builder

Hi guys

I do have about 4 recipes I use when that temp is around the 350c mark. Kleftico being one which I am doing tonight in around a 320c oven for 4 hours. Beautiful dish as long as the pan is sealed very well and enough liquid is added.

But I also use the methods you describe from time to time as well.

My Build -
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Journeyman

Wonderful, I can't wait until the weird deck ornament I built becomes something useful. I envy you guys the fun you are having cooking in your ovens.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Lancer
What do you mean you can't wait, I can't wait to see a whole pig come out of a WFO...... now that's going to be something
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Journeyman

Yeah, but I can't eat an idea. Not like you guys, pizzas, cool down dishes...

You guys are breakin me man!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

Gday Lancer
You had better start checking out the pizza stone cooking section in the forum.
Get youself a pizza stone chuck it in the BBQ make yourself some dough and have a play. It's possible to make an fair pizza on a stone not as good as a WFO one but close enough.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 AM
Journeyman

I actually own a pizza stone but...no BBQ believe it or not. Propane doesn't hook up that way here. Plus, no oven.

Just gotta keep building mate, and look in here for the good times I might expect when done. Anyway, this isn't my thread, don't want to derail it.