Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Peasant

Default Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

Here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails
New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-16.-2nd-course-ready-roll.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-17.-5th-course.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-18.-starting-6th-course-arch-part   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-19.-laurence-laying-up.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-20.-arch-done-6th-row.jpg  

Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Serf

Smile Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

fire clay also from amber
Old 02-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Peasant

So, it's been a while, you know the drill: raising baby and toddler, crazy work, yadda, yadda, but my job finished before chissie and before starting up in the new job managing a new brewery yesterday, I managed to polish off the inner oven to fire stage. She's not the prettiest oven, but she'll more than do the job, and it's been a grand adventure along and my Centenary homage to Canberra Reds is about to get redder! Bring the big fire!

Flue, insulation, door and render to come. But not before pizza!

Will post some more pics to fill in the gaps from the last post shortly... for now though, I leave you with this pic taken earlier tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-30.-inner-oven-complete.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

pretty ovens don't cook any better than less pretty ovens............it is the "chef" that makes the difference.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-04-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

G'day Dan
Great to hear from you again. How longs the dome been done for now? Recon the homebrew should be good and cured and pretty dry in the summer heat. You will not be suffering from steam cracks I bet.
If I were you I'd get myself some curing fires going now . Get that brickwork used to a bit of heat stage by stage..... Then have a pizza cook! No you don't need any insulation for that, just don't lean of the bare bricks after a couple of hours! Add the insulation later. I'm sure you'll have less cracks than someone trying to dry and heat temper the oven all in one go.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm undecided about whether the drying out fires should be done with or without insulation. There are advantages and disadvantages for each method
uninsulated- water is not trapped by the insulation layer, but refractory or brick is subject to greater temperature difference between inner and outer surfaces.
insulated-slower water elimination, but more even heat distribution.

My first oven had a floor brick half in and half out of the oven. It was a very high duty brick and I was surprised when a crack formed right down the middle of it. It was the only floor brick that cracked and although I'm not certain, I put it down to the fact that the temperature difference between the inside half and the outside half created too much stress because of the difference in expansion.
Uninsulated flue tiles are also subject to cracking because of the same effect.
You could be right and perhaps it is perfectly safe to fire an uninsulated dome. For now I prefer to fire after the insulation has been applied, but certainly wait until all the moisture has been purged before rendering over with a cement shell.
Gulf likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Goes to show David that keeping oven and landing completely separated has some merit. In my build I have done this meticulous. The oven and landing are not part of each other and insulated also. I even felt it necessary to insulate the landing and dome to keep temperatures as even as possible across the transition to minimize temperature variances. I think the combination [ shiralite and ceramic blanket ] works very well. Especially the order applied brick/shiralite/blanket. When saturated inside brick temps vs outside brick temps are identical. I feel the shiralite has assisted this as it is insulative as well as dense adding mass as you have previously pointed out David. I think method has assisted all round. Only change I would make perhaps 75mm of blanket next time.

Seems to work no cracks at all touch wood. Or maybe I've just been very lucky.

Back to topic fire after insulation but will add render if rendering only after completely dry. Apply a scratch layer, 10mm max, first then fire again a few biggies, just to ensure blanket is dry for this coat the thinner the better. Then apply to desired thickness.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-04-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I feel the shiralite has assisted this as it is insulative as well as dense adding mass as you have previously pointed out David. I think method has assisted all round."

Perhaps, but you can't really have both. It's either dense and thermally conductive or light and insulating. What you have is something in between, not a great insulator but also not particularly conductive. Rather like an HB pencil that's not dark enough and not hard enough to hold a good point.

I still feel that you should place your best quality insulation against the inner dense refractory wall, but I'm sure yours will work ok, so keep cooking.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I understand your preference completely but each of 3 commercial oven/furnace builders I spoke too unanimously told me the order I used is the correct way. The shiralite David is also extremely light. But my main reason for the position was to lock dome bricks in place.

I have never found it logical to have blanket directly next to dome when everyone talks about bricks expanding and contracting. Then putting an extremely wet layer of vermicrete over the blanket. Makes no sense to me

Anyway either way obviously works, just not seeing the logic behind the normal approach.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Colin
You'd better explain what "shiralite" actually is .... Even my spell check doesn't recognize it.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door