Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

Dan,

Nice start. This is where the fun and hair pulling starts. Very nice looking peel.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Peasant

Thanks Russell.

Had a good couple of days on the WFO:

Bit the bullet and splashed out on some dinky-di fire bricks for the oven floor. Just wasn't happy with the recycled Canberra reds - too many chips to get a nice even floor. Once again paid the 'Canberra tax' and forked out nearly $5/brick! Was still cheaper and quicker than a drive to Sydney. Got about 20 too many, so I think I'll work them into the top courses of the dome.

Made a template for the floor out of a bit of ply, which I'll also use to protect the floor from dome-building spills, and as a centre for the indispensable tool. Then cut the floor bricks using the template as a guide.

Tested the layout with some reds around the outside. Seems like it's going to be a good fit.

I had some excellent help from my 2yo apprentice Sam - see pic. And also brick cutting from Jon - thanks mate!

Next: lay the floor onto a fireclay/sand/water mix. Can anyone tell me how much such a mix grips the floor bricks. Hoping to be able to replace them as necessary over the years. Would I be better off just laying the floor bricks onto sand?
Attached Thumbnails
New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-floor.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-test-layout.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-apprentice-sam.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan W View Post
Thanks Russell.

Next: lay the floor onto a fireclay/sand/water mix. Can anyone tell me how much such a mix grips the floor bricks. Hoping to be able to replace them as necessary over the years. Would I be better off just laying the floor bricks onto sand?
Yes you could use just sand. I've never pulled up a floor that had clay/sand under it so can't say how difficult it would make it. Someone else my chime in.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Serf

Hi Dan,

Drop the water from your mix, no need for a slurry mix to get your level for the bricks to sit on. I had several attempts at getting it level with the dry mix, sand and clay. Adding water will make it real mess to try and pull the bricks back up.

JP
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Had experience once removing and relaying pavers that had been undercut by a storm. It was a s$@"t of a job. 1/2dz pavers turned into 40 or 50 as its impossible to get them releveled. Took out complete corner and rehauched the edge. Find it mind boggling to attempt that inside an oven! So it's good that you have a firebrick hearth
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Peasant

Thanks again for the tips guys.

Had some great help today from Laurence. He was meticulous with the spirit level which was fantastic!

We laid the outer base course with fireclay/sand/water mix and the floor with just sand. Ran out of light before completing the floor. Some very fine adjustments with the grinder to be done to fit it in snug.

Everything is super level, so very happy at this stage.
Attached Thumbnails
New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-10.-laying-outer-course.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-11.-outer-course-finished.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-12.-sand-floor.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-13.-floor-nearly-down.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thats a lot of sand, I thought it had to be 1mm or so thick?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 AM
Peasant

[QUOTE=brickie in oz;151327]Thats a lot of sand, I thought it had to be 1mm or so thick? [/QUOTE

Thanks for that Al. Not too late to pull up the floor and scrape off some sand. What's the rationale behind a thin layer? Is it so the floor bricks don't compress the sand over time and become uneven? My vermicrete base has bumps bigger than 1mm tho! I'd need a little bit more than that I reckon.

So hivemind: what the max amount of sand you'd tolerate?

(ps. this forum rocks!)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The more sand you have the more it will move under the bricks, you really only need to level out the bumps with the sand.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The more sand you have the more it will move under the bricks,
that's why the usual brew is sand, clay and water. It sets up hard and can not move. Your layer of sand should work fine though and I'm sure it won't give you any problems.