Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

Dan,
Not sure on supplies, some guys on here talk about ceramics suppliers as well. I think the poor mans mix has a good rap on here. I went for Hi Temp mortar partly due to convenience. I spoke with the local refactory supplier and this product was similar to the mix. There is discussion on here where people experience more cracking compared poor man/ home brew mix.

I'm confident that the one I am using is appropriate for the typical gap thickness I am using it with. I will be keen to see how it goes in mine.
Do have a good read on here as there are a number of discussions on it. I'll email my supplier to get me a tech sheet as the bag just says Hi Temp mortar but I suspect its similar to what brickie in Oz describes used on his WFO

Yeah its a great resource.... the are plenty of cool people/helpful people from around the globe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Peasant

Thanks againg guys.

David, good one - I'll happily ignore a sailor/soldier course and go a normal half brick on it's side for the bottom row.

Thanks for looking up hi temp motar details Damon.

Had a few mm of rain overnight. Went outside at 3am and to my horror discovered a corner of the tarp had blown back exposing a small bit of the vermicrete layer (where the landing will be) exposed to the weather. I laid the mix on Sat am, and hope it had dried sufficiently by last night so that bit of rain won't have weakened it too much. I guess I'll have to heat it nice and slow and long to drive out the extra moisture when I finally get to that point.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Serf

Hi Dan W,

Good to see another build happening here in Canberra. I was also woken by the 3am rain this morning as yesteday I built the internal arch and was hoping the rain would not affect the work as my cover had also came loose in the wind.

I am using a 1:1:1:3 hi temp mix from locally purchased products from the Gungahlin Homehardware (formally Magnetmart) and Mitchell CSG.

The hard one to work out was the high temp clay but found Blue Circle Builders Clay in a 20 Kilo bag which is 100% Kaolin and the manufacturers specs says for use up to 1570C. I have also used the clay with a sand mix to level out the base for the floor.

Good luck with the build.

JP
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Peasant

Awesome JP! Thanks for that. Did you find the builders clay at Gungahlin Homehardware or CSG?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Serf

Hi,

The Clay, Cement and Lime in 20Kg bags at Homehardware
Yellow brickies sand at CSG

JP
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Peasant

Great JP. Thanks man! Feel free to drop in anytime to check out my build. I'm in Downer. I'm guessing you're somewhere in Gungahlin?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Peasant

So, looks like I'll brick my dome up using half fondu ciment and half homebrew. Will provide feedback on which cracks more for the hivemind. Provided my wife doesn't go into labour (she's due any day), I'll be cutting bricks on the weekend. I look forward to reporting more soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan W View Post
So, looks like I'll brick my dome up using half fondu ciment and half homebrew. Will provide feedback on which cracks more for the hivemind. Provided my wife doesn't go into labour (she's due any day), I'll be cutting bricks on the weekend. I look forward to reporting more soon.
Good plan, I'd be interested to see how you think they compare. Do not try mixing the two together though. Lime plus calcium aluminate cement simply acts as as accelerant and your mortar will go off so fast that you'll probably lose at least half a batch.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Serf

Hi guys
I too am in Canberra and have just finished my 40" build. I found sourcing materials locally very difficult but did manage to find brickies clay at CE industries in Fyshwick and vermiculite at $45 / 100litre bag at hydro shop. Picked up fire bricks and pavers off allclassifieds ( was going to use Canberra reds) 8" s/s flue at burning log Fyshwick ceramic blanket from field furnace in Sydney. I used poor mans mortar after stalking this site for info i threw it all together. I will be following your build with interest as I enjoy the weather turning cold and learning to cook (successfully) in my oven with a glass of red to ease the pain in my back, neck, wrists, hands...... Oh sorry good luck and enjoy the journey.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Peasant

Thanks to JPs tip offs, today was largely spent gathering materials, and getting ready to build. Got about 80kgs of brickies sand from CSG for $5 - which was about a 1/4 of the price of the bagged stuff at Gungahlin Homemakers. Lime at $13 for 20kg, Builders (fire)Clay at $11 for 20kg both from Homemakers.

Took the form of the vermicrete, and pleased to report it's set well. Got the indispensable tool sorted, and lay out a few cut bricks.

Then got sidetracking making a long overdue pizza peel for a good mate down the road who I helped build his WFO a few months ago. Really happy with how it turned out - pics below. Timber is Alpine Ash (Eucalyptus delegantensis) which grows at my old man's property up in the mountains and which we mill on-site.

Next: lots of brick cutting, then a layer of sand on the vermicrete and start laying!
Attached Thumbnails
New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-peel-insulation.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-peel.jpg   New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra-testing-indispenable-tool.jpg