Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

I have a few posts, The first is some Pizza.

Baccia cheese used on a few pizzas was fantastic. We have been experimenting with a few cheeses from an Italian shop Penissi near the Gabba.

It has a soft creamy texture.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02010.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02013.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Apprentice

Made 3 doors over the last day and a half.

I changed my original door design, from all SS to mainly Hebel construction. This is because of the heat conductivity of metals. I have used aluminium which is a very good conductor only on the sides because its easy to work with. Its used sparingly. Aluminium foil is also used because it also reflects heat. High temperature silicon was used to glue most of it together, a few SS screws and pop rivets were use on the edges to hold the edging on.

The designs attempts to protect the hebel to an extent, from both heat and abrasion. Only time will tell if it works out. Hopefully it won't fall apart any time soon.

1) window door for baking
2) solid door heat retention
3) Weather/Blast door, mainly to keep the weather out. Stop water drops getting into the cal sill board.

The window door first. Its constructed with a number of layers. I used a stainless steel oven face first, a air gap ,aluminium foil, then the hebel, then a ply exterior.

At the base the ply sits on top aluminium angle. The SS on the hot face is bent under and up so a recess is created over the heat break in the hearth tiles. So the heat break is maintained.

Aluminium flashing was used to wrap around hot face entry. The aluminium is 99% not an alloy, so is malleable easy to bend around the SS.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02017.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02019.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02020.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02025.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02031.jpg  

New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02032.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

Window door continued.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02033.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02035.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02037.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02043.jpg  
david s and chubbybones like this.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM
Apprentice

Solid door

Ply glued to 75mm hebel with aluminium foil hot face, and aluminium flashing sides.

The third door will be continued. It needs a few thing done to finalise.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02039.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02041.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Master Builder

Hi Brissie

Nice work i'm working on the same thing as we speak 3 doors.

I'm sticking with the stainless and looking at isolation methods and making the solid door so I can interchange various insulation types.

I too am looking at the glass door cooking option. I like the thermometer in the glass door. Can I ask was that a frypan lid?

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Apprentice

Hi Colin,

I found the glass lid on ebay.com.au.
Store home: Search results for: 'Raco 20cm Glass Lid'

The diameter is 20cm. The central hole was only about 8mm, I used a diamond drill bit to drill it out to fit the thermometer thread.

Tile Drill Bit Qep 10mm Diamond I/N 6820162 | Bunnings Warehouse

I hope it does not crack from the centre out. I went a l little fast and have a small chip. Not sure, it will matter but I would keep the centre hole as clean as possible. If you decide to do this. Use water with it....

Steve.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Master Builder

I was thinking of obtaining combustion heater glass and driving it been 2 layers Calsil.
Some how.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Apprentice

Finished the external weather door to keep rain and splashes out.

The last photo is my insulating window door used as a blast door, its moved to the front of the entry and has a couple of inched gap around the sides and top.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02044.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02045.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc02047.jpg  
david s likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Gudday
Those doors are looking great
I don't think that technically that's a blast door. From what I believe a blast door seals the entrance and controls the exit of smoke and entrance of air. Using the door outside the oven entrance still allows the oven to breath the way it naturally does but stops the heat reflecting out. I might be drawing to fine a distinction there, but I don't think so.
Like the aluminum checker plate . I'm warming to that stuff, it should make a more permanent replacement for my plywood experimental I'm thinking
Thanks
Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Those doors are looking great
I don't think that technically that's a blast door. From what I believe a blast door seals the entrance and controls the exit of smoke and entrance of air. Using the door outside the oven entrance still allows the oven to breath the way it naturally does but stops the heat reflecting out. I might be drawing to fine a distinction there, but I don't think so.
Like the aluminum checker plate . I'm warming to that stuff, it should make a more permanent replacement for my plywood experimental I'm thinking
Thanks
Dave
Perhaps I should have said sudo blast door. Using a door in this way does have some of the benefits of a purpose built blast door. Its stops any smoke exiting the front when first starting a fire, and does a good job at funnelling air into the base of the fire. You are right though its not 100% a blast door.

I used the checker plate because its easy to work with and light. I used a jigsaw to cut it to shape. The plate purchased was 600 wide, and a perfect width for my entry. And don't look to shabby.

Cheers
Greenman and Sputnikmelon like this.