Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissie View Post
David s

Does anyone ever replace bricks on the base? What is life of a brick in an oven?

If a bricks lifetime is long, It may not be worth the effort to make the base future removable.

Steve.
Gudday Steve
Yes there was an oven this year a secound hand oven with broken worn hearth tiles which were replaced. I can't find it at the moment but I remember it had a gas fitting as well that had to be cut around. They were tiles too not brick. I suspect tiles might be a bit more fragile than brick and I also suspect a lot easier to replace than brick.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Just a photo showing the first half of hebel PowerFloor board. The second half will be placed and then covered with two full boards. The full boards will be stuck to the lower broads by liquid nails, and mortar around the edges to the blocks.
Will there be no structural concrete hearth layer to support the oven, or is this "Hebel Powerfloor" something I am not understanding?

Last edited by Gulf; 09-29-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 AM
Apprentice

Gulf,

PowerFloor, Is steel re-enforced aerated concrete. I has 6mm bars through it. Its an alternative to traditional concrete flooring. A single 75mm (3 inches) thick panel has an R value of about 1 (thermal resistance). The floor will be 150 (6 inches) thick. I will also have a 50mm (2 inch) calcium silicate board under the brick slabs under the oven.

The 1800 (6 foot) long boards will span from the back to the front, and allow for some overhang at the landing.

I am using this product, because it is easy to install (no form-work) cost about $70 per 1800*600 (6x2) sheet. Plus it adds an additional layer of insulation.

Steve.
oasiscdm likes this.

Last edited by brissie; 09-29-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
David s

Does anyone ever replace bricks on the base? What is life of a brick in an oven?

If a bricks lifetime is long, It may not be worth the effort to make the base future removable.

Steve.
Some people freak out if a crack appears and they feel the need to replace it. A cracked floor brick does not effect the performance though and is easy enough to live with.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:09 AM
Apprentice

cobblerdave

I am using 300x300x50 fire brick slabs. Not tiles. I am still not sure on what I will do. I plan on casting the dome next weekend, I do need to decide before I start.

Thanks for the info, I will be doing a search to see if can find any brick fails...
Old 09-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
50 mm is a fair thickness so the word slab rather tile should apply
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Apprentice

Sorry cobblerdave,

When you mentioned tiles, I was thinking of the 10mm variety. Having read more posts in other threads I see brick slabs are labelled tiles. I guess I need to learn the lingo...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Will there be no structural concrete hearth layer to support the oven, lloor is this "Hebel Powerfloor" something I am not understanding?

Gulf

If you check my base build I to used hebel to construct the whole base and heath slab.. I
Like what brissie had done though in using 2 layers. Hebel is so much easier to work than forming and laying a concrete hearth and as brissie pointed out provides added insulation.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-30-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree, it's not cheap though. About 1/3 weight of standard concrete so probably about 1/3 strength too. 6 mm reo cast into it is rather inadequate IMO. Two layers should be plenty. I used 70mm Hebel power panel for my mobile oven as both structural and insulating layer, apart from the 1" vermiculite between the floor and the Hebel, in an effort to save weight. I am a bit disappointed as it's proved inadequate regarding strength. It has cracked quite badly although it doesn't really matter as it's contained in a steel cradle. Not sure whether the cracks have occurred because of heat or going over rough roads and speed bumps. Suggest if you are using Hebel to have support under the middle of it as well as the sides.

Last edited by david s; 09-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David.

I would has at a guess its the rough roads and speed humps.

Looking at Brissie's photo's he has has plenty of support. I would use Hebel adhesive instead of liquid nails as Hebel adhesive creates one solid mass whereas the liquid nails won't.

Shame brissie I have enough adhesive left but your along way away.

I found it cheaper as I needed mini mix, worked out a little cheaper. Mixing the concrete yourself though well no comparison. It was meant to replace brick walls and concrete floors. So is substantially cheaper than those.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-30-2013 at 07:27 PM.