Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Nice finish Steve. looks great. the gecko very different.....

I had been wondering how thick the render layer needed to be I was looking at 50mm. Might reduce it somewhat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 AM
Master Builder

The render is the shell on the egg. It serves no real structural purpose other than to seal the deal and to contain the insulation from the weather. Mine was about 25mm and that has worked for me. Might be a new thread - How Thick the Render.............

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Master Builder

Hey!
Your oven is drop-dead-gorgeous! Love the color scheme, I think that it is Nordic "like Finnish"! Do you have Finnish ancestors in your bloodline? The blues are really Nordic colors! I think the gecko is maybe Mayan though or some of the island hopping civilizations that populated the areas around you at the dawn of civilization! I think that it is great!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Nice finish Steve. looks great. the gecko very different.....

I had been wondering how thick the render layer needed to be I was looking at 50mm. Might reduce it somewhat.
Thanks Colin, the gecko was my wife's idea. It does look good and stands out with the brownish tones.

50 mm does sound thick. This dome is about 15 mm first coat, plus the colour topping was just enough to spread, perhaps 6 to 8 mm. Total thickness I would say is under an 25mm.

With 50mm you would need to build it up with 3 or 4 layers maybe. Not sure you would need that much under your topcoat.

Steve
Old 12-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Hey Steve - That looks great. The finish is excellent and the gecko is a very nice touch. You are right with the render needing to dry and cure slowly, speed kills with that.

Congratulations.
Thanks Greenman, Its starting to come together. Still need to sort out the flue join and door(s). Finish the base. all of it should be finished by Xmas...

Cheers,

Steve
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Hey!
Your oven is drop-dead-gorgeous! Love the color scheme, I think that it is Nordic "like Finnish"! Do you have Finnish ancestors in your bloodline? The blues are really Nordic colors! I think the gecko is maybe Mayan though or some of the island hopping civilizations that populated the areas around you at the dawn of civilization! I think that it is great!
Hi Mikku, Thanks, - no Nordic in my bloodline. We have used the colours outside, and have several pots in the blue tones etc. The Base will be a terracotta-ish colour, blue goes well with it. The gecko will also pick up the base colour.

We do have native geckos in Brisbane, but non native Asian house geckos are always about. Not sure the origin of the tiles, perhaps the gecko is based on Mayan history.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Laborer

I love it! good work.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Journeyman

If my build comes out half as nice as this I'll be very pleased. :b:
Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Apprentice

Thanks chubbybones and Lancer.

This afternoon I am just about to seal the dome with a second coat of water based clear acrylic sealer. I tried a solvent based sealer first at the back of the dome. It went all blotchy dark and light. The render was done last weekend and was still holding water I think. So lucky I don't start on the front... Plan B, the water based sealer worked much better. You can hardly see the first coat.

Also add some buttress shapes carved from hebel under the dome overhangs, bagged the sides and renderd/tiled the front with Mexican hand painted tiles. The base will be painted a terracotta-ish colour.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc01891.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc01894.jpg   New 36inch castable build in Brisbane-dsc01895.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work Brissie especially the tiles gecko etc. Love the colours to.