Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Nick

If they have 1kf ask them to get you a price and if they source it from the info I provided above I paid 50, for the bag I bought.pizzeria is different to the other caputi flours. I've used 3 of them now. Same pizza using 3 flours. Pizzeria definitely my preferred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Serf

Where you guys getting your Mutti sauce around Sydney?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Serf

Hi

Paesanella Food Emporium is open Sundays ( 7 to 2 ) and this weekend have 1kg buffalo mozzarella for $20. They also have Mutti sauce and San Marzano tomatoes. The Caputo flour is in the red and blue 1kg bags.

Good selection of other cheeses as well. Parking is available from the back alley.

Just around the corner from Faros seafood so that is a bonus.

BC
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Apprentice

Finally finished off my 25kg bag of Caputo last week.
Rang Richard from Basile Imports from last time.
Not only did he remember me but was also very friendly and happy to hook me up with another bag - though he was unhappy to say the flour now costs $44 instead of $40.
Still a bargain lol.
What a champ!

As for SM tomatoes, I don't bother with them. You can buy them from Woolworths but I can't really taste an improvement over regular Italian tomatoes and yet cost 3x as much.

Can't skip the Buffalo Mozzarella though. I prefer to buy from Pennisi at the Gabba for $40/kilo but our local woolworths also sell Buffalo Mozz but at a far less appealing price of $69/kilo.
$20/kilo for Buff Mozz is a steal!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 AM
Laborer

Is there just the one type of Caputo 00? I've got some that I think we get at Harris Farm and use it for pasta. Made some earlier and it's just drying ready for tonight's dinner. Really good results. Everyone loves whatever I make with it.

But haven't tried it for pizza. If it's the same one I may give it a go this weekend if I can find out what type of yeast to use. No point in waiting until the oven is built to start working out the best way to prepare what goes in it.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Apprentice

No there are quite a few different Caputo 00 flours.

The variety specifically for pizza come in a blue bag (25kg) or red bag (1kg) and both have a pizza on the front.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wozza - I have been using Tandaco Dry Yeast, it comes in 7g sachets and is available from the chain stores. I use one 7g sachet in 1kg of flour with 650g water and salt and a little olive oil. That works fine for me.

It is the basic Pizza Dough by Weight recipe from FB and I have tweaked it over time to get what I want from a base. I have settled on using 700g Caputo 00, 200g wholemeal and 100g fine semolina. That gets me a thin crisp base and and edge with some rise and substance.

I guess it depends on what you prefer but that one works for me.

Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes-img_20140709_202150.jpg

Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes-sam_0213.jpg

Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes-sam_0220.jpg

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nearly due for new bag of caputo 00, a--h--les put it up to $66. Might give Basile a call and see if they can do better. Will mention your pricing.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
Is there just the one type of Caputo 00? I've got some that I think we get at Harris Farm and use it for pasta. Made some earlier and it's just drying ready for tonight's dinner. Really good results. Everyone loves whatever I make with it.

But haven't tried it for pizza. If it's the same one I may give it a go this weekend if I can find out what type of yeast to use. No point in waiting until the oven is built to start working out the best way to prepare what goes in it.
Gday
The 00 bit is the fact that it is a finer ground flour than normal flour. A pasta flour is 10 to 11 per cent protein. A strong flour for pizza is 14 to 15 per cent protein. Both can be 00 it's just a finer milled flour. An Italian flour for pizza usually has a pic of pizza on the label if it doesn't its a good chance it's for something else.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Apprentice

Greenman you should look at buying the cylinder tub of IDY at woollies instead of Tandaco.
Costs 10% of the price, works great and lasts for years.
Can't remember its name but its like a dark red/maroon tub.
I use one teaspoon in my mix over 3 days does 7 pizzas.

Tags
caputo, flour, ingredients, molino, san marzano