Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Applor

Well done btw. Surprised they sold it to you at wholesale price. Score.

Since you will not be finished for s while check best before date. The pack I bought had a best before off September this year. Took the advice from my thread and borrowed a vacuum food sealer. Bagged up a couple of kg packs last night I would suggest you do the same if you aren't using it for a while. Put it in the freezer.

I have also ordered some gluten free molino.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-27-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Will do.

Have ordered a 25kg bag of the the Molino Caputo tipo 00 pizzeria flour. Pick up tomorrow. Might try it Saturday night.

Here's the tip you cannot buy from the importer but give them a call they will give you a reseller in your area or someone that will be able to order. TI believe they distribute throughout Australia.

The bag I ordered will cost me $50 $2 per kg sounds pretty good got it from Lakes Fresh Food Market in Taylors Lakes which is west of Melbourne.

Finally a source in Australia for the flour they rave over OS. Basile started importing it only a few months back.

Here is the link - enjoy finally a source.
Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

VICTORIA - Head Office
401 Dorset Road (PO Box 714)
BAYSWATER VICTORIA 3153
T 03 9762 9311 F 03 9762 9422

NEW SOUTH WALES
17 Distribution Place
SEVEN HILLS NSW 2147
T 02 9624 7622 F 02 9624 8622

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
6 Commerce Crescent
POORAKA SA 5095
T 08 8262 9700 F 08 8262 9777

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
44 Resource Way
MALAGA WA 6090
T 08 9209 1266 F 08 9209 1277

QUEENSLAND
Factory 7/18 Alexandra Place
MURARRIE QLD 4172
T 07 3890 1922 F 07 3890 1933
hey applor

thought I would post the contact numbers here........i posted on my thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-27-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Applor

I have also ordered some gluten free molino.
Good luck with the gluten free flour. When I tried it there was no way I could make dough with it that would hold the shape of a base. There's just nothing to hold it together. Anyone have any ideas what you can add to it apart from gluten?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Master Builder

Xanthan and Guar gum are used to replace gluten in a lot of recipes. I made some pizza dough with a bulk gluten free bread mix I got from a speciality shop 'Nana's Pantry' and it worked ok.

This site has some information about how it works and leads to some gluten free pizza dough recipes etc. How to Use Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum in Gluten-Free Recipes

There are a number of gluten free flours such as rice and cornflour that are usually found in premix gluten free flour.

A recent article in the Wood Fired Blog would be of interest to gluten intolerant folk. It was just this week and examines the possibility that the rapid rise techniques and added gluten in commercial products might be adding to the problem. Worth a read.

At any rate, the commercial mix I used on my sister worked, she gave it the stamp of approval.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post
Hey guys just thought I would post an update in here as this topic is being discussed in another thread.

Oasiscdm has discovered a company that are now importing Molino Caputo flour to each state in Australia.
Here is their website for contact details:
Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

Ring your state supplier to find out which retailer sells the flour. Basile are a wholesaler so they generally won't sell to you direct.
Having said that, I am in Brisbane and enquired but they didn't really have any retailers as they are only selling direct to bakers/pizzerias at the moment.
As a result they were willing to drop off a 25kg bag to me in Bris CBD as part of their delivery run.
$42 for the 25kg delivered straight to me at work - absolute bargain!
Looking forward to getting/using it, though my build is still a month or so away.
Hi Guys, just wanted to add FYI. No point in bothering with Basile - Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

They will only sell to Pizzerias and businesses in Sydney at least. They don't have any retailers buying it off them and therefore there is no where for us to buy it.

I rang them and asked if I could come by and pick up a 25kg bag and pay them cash. They wouldn't let me and told me to ring my local deli and tell them to order it in. I explained to them that they are the 3rd company is Sydney to be selling this flour and they were totally shocked. They thought they were the only ones. I told them there is a market if you can sell it at a reasonable price to all the pizza enthusiast at home.

I was surprised they didn't have a clue about the potential and that they didn't even know about competition.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Calll the Melbourne office it is the head office speak directly with them.. Ask them to point you too a deli that sells other of their products, then contact them to place an order. Just don't give up.

Guy in Brisbane had a bag delivered to his office. Copy that and send out to them. See Previous post in this thread
Again don't give up. It's worth the hassle, seriously worth it.

Had some guests over on Saturday and they commented it was the best pizza they had ever eaten, that the crust was so much better than anything they have had previously.

Persistence eventuallygets results.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-20-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Serf

Good news for Sydney siders. Paesanella Food Emporium at 150 Marrickville Rd, Marrickville is open and basically a foodies heaven. It stocks Caputo flours, a fantastic deli, breads, etc, etc, etc. Good selection of oils, vinegars, groceries. Even selection of fruit & veg......Just great.....What (Inner West) Sydney has needed for a long time. Paesanella cheeses (obviously) available and everything at great prices. Convenient parking in the building. Highly recommended so check it out (apparently they are opening a cafe on ground level soon).
Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What are they doing the 25kg pizzeria flour for?

Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 AM
Serf

Only have 1kg bags on shelf, few different sorts for $3.75 I think. Anyway try icnussa for 25kg bags. At $70/$75 would be great value.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Master Builder

At @ $3.00 + a kg someone is doing very nicely. I use it and agree that it is good (I mix it with stoneground wholemeal) and it makes great pizza. That is kg supermarket price.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Tags
caputo, flour, ingredients, molino, san marzano