Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Laborer

Red face Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
Thanks for the post. Marco didn't tell me about the shelf life of the flour. I hope that's not a problem because there's no way I'll use 25kg in 8 months. I've got the bag in a reasonably air tight plastic container. Maybe I need to find someone willing to go halves for future purchases or I'll go back to buying a few 1kg red packs each time I go to Sydney. I had to postpone the pizzas till tomorrow but I've made a batch of dough and it looks and feels good. I'll let you know how they shape and cook up.
Regarding the shelf life you cold try freezing half of the flour to extend its life.

My build so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Starting out collecting info and materials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

If anyone is interested in growing San marzano tomatoes. I have been growing them for a couple of years. I can send you some if you are in this wonderful land downunder. Except WA of course. Also I got them from Diggers Seed Club. They do heritage seeds of all kinds.
I also have a local old style Tom that is fabulous really meaty beautiful flavour and even freezes well oh yes and it is huge. Where the SM toms are quite small. I am happy to pass some of those seeds along as well if anyone is interested.
razbarb likes this.

My build so far

Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Serf

Love to have some of your SM seeds and the other tom seeds. I can email you direct my address. Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Serf

Just returned from visit to the States and brought back (much to my wife's bewilderment) 4 x 1kg bags Antimo Caputo Chefs 00 flour ($3.99 US per bag) and can't wait to use it. Also went to Frank Pepes in New Haven (amongst other great pizzerias) and my god the size of their pizzas ?????? The Margherita and White Clam pizzas were sensational. Especially the sauce on the Margherita. Base could of been a tad crispier/firmer (I don't think the size of the pizza helps this) but overall great experience. Also had great pizza (& pasta) at Eataly in NYC.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 AM
Serf

Just returned from a weekend in Bowral (NSW Southern Highlands - 90mins from Sydney) and noticed the local deli sells the Antimo Caputo flour ($4.95).

They had 3 and I purchased 2. They said they get every now and then (easier to get in the bigger 25kg bags) but great to have a shop that stocks either.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Serf

Just noticed the following site (Sydney based) that sells the Caputo 25kg Pizza Flour for $70, as well as the red 1kg bags for $4.95.

http:shop.icnussa.com.au

Haven't ordered from them so can't comment on service, etc but worth looking into.

Also, the Zanetti 5 star deli/supermarket in Haberfield (across the road from the IGA) has quite a selection of tinned San Marzano's - some excellent, some good, some not so good, as well as good range of tinned/bottled tomatoes. I find the 'Mutti' range really good.

I also recently ordered some 'Cento' San Marzano's from Welcome to USA Foods (nicely sized 800gm tins) and they were really, really good. Notice they are currently out of stock but definitely will buy again.

Last edited by nickk; 01-04-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I ordered my Caputo from icnussa and I found them good to deal with. The flour also has a long shelf life which is good when ordering the 25kg bags.

I did a "torture test" on Caputo recently and cranked the oven up to 500 C. The pizzas showed signs of burning so I had to drop the temp to around 450 C for best results with a 90 sec bake. Definitely the best pizza flour around but I would be interested in getting commentary from others as to its overall value for money.

Note: To ship it to Perth costs $45 - $50 which is another consideration if outside Sydney. You have to arrange your own courier as icnussa does not provide that service.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
Love to have some of your SM seeds and the other tom seeds. I can email you direct my address. Thanks
Did you get the seeds? did you grow them? mine are just starting to flower.

My build so far

Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Apprentice

Hey guys just thought I would post an update in here as this topic is being discussed in another thread.

Oasiscdm has discovered a company that are now importing Molino Caputo flour to each state in Australia.
Here is their website for contact details:
Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

Ring your state supplier to find out which retailer sells the flour. Basile are a wholesaler so they generally won't sell to you direct.
Having said that, I am in Brisbane and enquired but they didn't really have any retailers as they are only selling direct to bakers/pizzerias at the moment.
As a result they were willing to drop off a 25kg bag to me in Bris CBD as part of their delivery run.
$42 for the 25kg delivered straight to me at work - absolute bargain!
Looking forward to getting/using it, though my build is still a month or so away.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your welcome.

You won't regret it applor. Shit $42

To get true taste of it try this.

Olive oil steeped with minced garlic, not a lot off cheese finely sliced chili of choice and olives chunky dice.

I took 3 of these to work.

They wanted more.

Then do one the same with smoked piquillo peppers added.

Wow

Btw I find out yesterday that bassile have increased the price $7

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-26-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Tags
caputo, flour, ingredients, molino, san marzano