Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Serf

Default Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Off the topic a little but anyone got idea on best 'material' for peel to construct pizza on and slip off into oven ? I have stainless and wood but always sticking. Anyone found whether flour, coarse/fine semolina, etc works better than one or the other, and never sticks. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Serf

Flour does work. You have to keep moving the base on the peel before it goes in your oven. Lift up the base and add some flour to the peel where it seems to be sticking. I drilled holes about 1cm apart in my aluminum peel to reduce the sticking problem. It's helped but you need to keep moving the pizza base on your peel as you work on your fillings.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Serf

The molino caputo pizza flour from Lario's in Waterloo is the best flour to shape with. It browns beautifully in the WFO and tastes great. It's worth the extra $ - surely none of us are commercial operators. A 500gm mix yields 3 large pizzas $1 each for the best flour on the market- why whine about the price?
Just got the 25kilo bag (blue) of pizza flour from Marco at Lario's on a trip to Sydney. $140 comes out at $5.60 a kg. He reckons its better than the 1kg red bags. Trying it tonight to see.

The San Marzano tomatoes (DOP) at Haberfield IGA are $1.29 a can. Fabulous flavor. We use nothing else now in all our tomato dishes.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Serf

Well done Peter. I agree 100%, its worth a try. Last week I took the plunge and visited Larios and bought the Caputo Pizzeria (blu) 25kg flour. I am yet to try it but have a big pizza party coming up and cant wait.

I don't know if ill continue to buy this flour but I just have to try it and see what everyone is raving on about.

So for those of you who had questions about why this guy is the only supplier for Australia - Marco explained that the company in Naples who make it understand they have a reputation that cant be surpassed. They therefore impose rules on distributors. Marco can only order it in huge quantities as a minimum order. Usually this wouldn't be a problem but he tells me this particular flour has a short shelf life of 8 months. By the time it arrives here, it is down to 7 to 7.5 months shelf life. He then needs to sell it pretty quickly to beat the used by date.
Now obviously Marco has the clientele and can do this but otherwise it would pose a huge risk for anyone else. Marco runs a good show at Larios with lots of variety - he had the Caputo Flour for making pasta also.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Serf

Thanks for the post. Marco didn't tell me about the shelf life of the flour. I hope that's not a problem because there's no way I'll use 25kg in 8 months. I've got the bag in a reasonably air tight plastic container. Maybe I need to find someone willing to go halves for future purchases or I'll go back to buying a few 1kg red packs each time I go to Sydney. I had to postpone the pizzas till tomorrow but I've made a batch of dough and it looks and feels good. I'll let you know how they shape and cook up.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
..... why whine about the price?
i'll tell you why there's whining about the price... to get it over here to Perth will cost another 30 - 60 dollars. It's just not worth it.

I have eaten pizzas made with Molino Caputo flour and they were excellent but certainly don't warrant spending the outrageous price being asked for MC here.

The topic has been discussed at length in this forum and general consensus was that there are some really good local flours with high protein that make outstanding pizzas so forget MC for now.

The bottom line is that import and quarantine regulations in Oz add both time and cost to the product pricing it out of the market.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Journeyman

I can certainly understand any and all frustration with that price. I'm in the US 4700 miles from Naples and I can get a bag for $36. I could see you guys paying double what I pay due to the longer distance, smaller quantities purchased, ect.. Four times seems like somebody is making some killer markup somewhere along the line. I'd bet I don't pay 4 times what they do in Naples.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Serf

Disagree about the blue label Molino Caputo pizza flour - sadly only available at Lario's in 25 kg bags. The red label is the 1kg bag. I've used both - the blue is by far the best pizza flour I've used -make sure you use 59% hydration - makes the perfect pizza dough to work with, fabulous flavour. Get your dome over 950F and floor about 750F+ and they cook up beautiful in 90 seconds - just like the pros. My friends won't let me vary the toppings - San Marzano sauce, buffalo mozzarella, bits of prosciutto, basil and the obligatory drizzle of good olive oil. I have been trying to perfect this for 2 years and I'm finally there. I also spent big on an imported Azurro perforated peel 36cm - it's worth every penny. Bases never stick slide off every time.

Last edited by PeterE; 08-21-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Serf

PeterE, share your (59% hydration) dough recipe
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Serf

No big deal - as per the fornobravo pizza dough recipe - but not 65% water to flour ratio. I use spring (bottled) water and weigh it -59% of my flour weight, so if 500gm of flour the water amount is 500x0.59= 295gm. I warm it in microwave to about 110F. Be accurate as you can with your weights . I use less salt(non-iodized sea salt) -about 7-8 gms (not 10) and 3 gms yeast. Let the dough rest (autolyse) for 20 minutes after 5-6 minutes of mixing. Then mix another 5 mins or so. Then stretch it(3 fold letter type technique) - form into big dough ball then cover and let it rise for 2 hours.
Then make your dough balls (I weigh them to get them as equal as I can) - cover them and in fridge for 24 hrs..take out 1-2 hrs before making bases.
Works for me!

Last edited by PeterE; 08-21-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Tags
caputo, flour, ingredients, molino, san marzano