Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Making my own tools

Hi Neill

i haven't used the brush yet but will let you know how it goes. i found it at Bunnings in the section where they have cement materials. i thought that it might be able to deal with the heat better - time will tell. i am also looking for a metal brush as well but haven't been successful with this yet. the brush will be held with a couple of wing nuts so its easier to change over as i have assumed they will have a limited life span.

re the s/s. i was looking at their full sheets and noticed a box full of offcuts. it was a mix of s/s and aluminium so you had to make sure you picked the right ones. most of them were labelled. i pretty much took all the s/s ofcuts that appeared to be about the size i wanted. sorry if anyone came looking for some after me!!

cheers

Chaz
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz Aus View Post
Hi David

Most of the S/S thickness offcuts had 1.5mm written on them. There was a 2.5mm piece which I initially cut for the square peel but it was too heavy and no way that I could bend it ( as I bent everything by hand with a little bit of assistance from a rubber mallet!). Maybe if I was built like Arnie!

The 1.5mm seems to be pretty strong and ok for weight.
Yes, 1.5 should be good. I started with 0.9 mm but found it a bit too floppy. I now use 1.2 mm. You don't want it too thick because you are just pulling heat out of the oven every time you put it in and out.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Hi Neill

i haven't used the brush yet but will let you know how it goes. i found it at Bunnings in the section where they have cement materials. i thought that it might be able to deal with the heat better - time will tell.
I too used one of these brushes. It has been going for about 2 months and is still fine. I am sure it would burn well without some care but kept out of the coals and flame it seems ok. I mounted a block fitted with a handle on the back of the brush and it will be simple to replace the head.

Your tool kit looks impressive. Much can be done with some basic material and a little care and enthusiasm. As your result proves.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hi Neill

i haven't used the brush yet but will let you know how it goes. i found it at Bunnings in the section where they have cement materials. i thought that it might be able to deal with the heat better - time will tell.
It is most likely a natural fiber brush if you got it in the masonry side of the store. Horse hair bushes are common...I have heard of goat hair and a material made from plants.

Great job on the oven tools.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Yes, 1.5 should be good. I started with 0.9 mm but found it a bit too floppy. I now use 1.2 mm. You don't want it too thick because you are just pulling heat out of the oven every time you put it in and out.
David,

That is one hyper-sensitive oven you have there, if a few seconds of peel contact is "just pulling heat out of the oven every time you put it in and out." Just imagine what that circulating air is doing? Get real, my friend, stop scaring the newbies, and stop BSing the rest of us.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The head of a metal peel probably weighs more than the pizza. Given that a pizza cools off your oven floor, a conductive metal pizza peel shoved into the oven gets hot very quickly then cools off again quickly while it's out. The loss of heat therefore is not inconsequential.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
The head of a metal peel probably weighs more than the pizza. Given that a pizza cools off your oven floor, a conductive metal pizza peel shoved into the oven gets hot very quickly then cools off again quickly while it's out. The loss of heat therefore is not inconsequential.
David,

Man up and admit that you're blowing smoke. How many of us would knowingly slide a metal peel along the full length of that hot oven floor, to the point where we want to place our pizza, and if we did, we would only do it once. The pizza would not release from the peel, been there, done that! If the heat loss was major and I could still get my 90sec pizza, to me it would be an inconsequential loss. The majority of us are more that happy with a 3 minute pizza, so the heat loss from the peel is good enough for government work, don't you think?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did not say the heat loss would be major. I said it would not be inconsequential. When under the pump and turning out 30 pizzas in an hour, one at a time, I need to preserve all the heat I can.more so because my oven is very small. My peel gets quite hot every time I put it in.Once to turn the pizza after around a minute then in again to remove it a minute later. Heat is attracted to more thermally conductive materials, whether in contact with the floor or not. Aluminium way more conductive than stainless too.
This is an interesting physics problem worthy of discussion, and perhaps some measurement, but as you have chosen to be argumentative and abusive I don't feel inclined to offer any more.

Last edited by david s; 07-09-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
David,

Man up and admit that you're blowing smoke. How many of us would knowingly slide a metal peel along the full length of that hot oven floor, to the point where we want to place our pizza, and if we did, we would only do it once. The pizza would not release from the peel, been there, done that! If the heat loss was major and I could still get my 90sec pizza, to me it would be an inconsequential loss. The majority of us are more that happy with a 3 minute pizza, so the heat loss from the peel is good enough for government work, don't you think?
Sorry for this intrusion on this thread .

I'm not a moderator...........by no means. I'm not commenting on the "right or wrong" answers to "newbie" questions. I would just like to make a statement about respect.

I don't know all the answers. I don't think anyone does. But, as a forum I think that we can find the solution. I think that we should be able to ask a question or give our "best practice" answer with wondering if a sniper is going to take our friggin' head off .

My point is: If you think that you have a better answer, Just say "well, this is how the hll I do it. That would be more respectful than many of the posts that I've seen lately .

Last edited by Gulf; 07-10-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I misspelled
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Master Builder

Hi David,

We 've both been here for sometime. We have agreed and disagreed on issues, and at no time have my opinions been aimed to disrespect you or anyone else as a person. Some here, find that being PC, is the new norm, and others are "Old School", call them as they see them, and if we're wrong, its easy to say,"I'm sorry I made a mistake.