Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday brickie
That was triple scarey ... But a few goggles later I found a 40 sec u tube with two New Zealanders cooking thier lime in a 44 gal drum in the back blocks of "Whokilledamoocowe". The processs sounds scarey still but approached with a bit of knowledge and pre-planing should be do-able.
Regards Dave
Can you put a link to that vid please cobblerdave? Looked a bit but didn't find that one.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The "table" or slab only needs to be normal everyday concrete with insulation on top of it.
Yeah I realize I'm being overly cautious...remember my insulation is lava rocks, not the best even though there's 7 inches of it under the brick.

Question brickie. I plan to have 5" of refractory cement over the brick of the dome, then 12" of perlite lava rocks then 5 more inches of refractory cement. In your opinion does this outer layer have to be refractory cement or can it be normal stuff? Edit: Its that last 5" on the outside that gets the metal bar, far from the fire and holding the whole structure together. On doing calculations there's no way I can bring the floor up to the midpoint of the onion. That means the walls will have to tip out and the inside of the dome will be a bit high. To compensate I think I'll not go 63% on the door height but maybe 50% to 55%, bring that heat down a ways.

Thoughts guys?

Last edited by Lancer; 05-03-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi lancer.

Love the setting and pictures and your idea for the oven.

I am no expert but 2 foot walls that sounds like over over
kill to me.
Me too oasiscdm, but with perlite I have to add thickness to compensate for it not being the best insulator. I think I can handle 2' walls after thinking about it particularly as I haven't much choice.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
That is going to be a very rich mix, and you will need more sand so it doesn't get shrink cracking as it dries.

Usually modern stucco mix is portland based, with fine sand and polymers.
Add more sand, say 4 parts? I have a pretty good sized diesel mixer...

Thanks for the warning on modern stucco mix stonecutter, I did not know that. So with this knowledge and what brickie said I'm going to fire my own limestone. :b:
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey guys

If its for the base of the oven eg. Hearth/table. Where are the stones? Lancer should you not be putting the oven on a reinforced concrete base.
My plan is to put the oven on refractory cement but sure it should be concrete of course, good point. I read somewhere that rounded river stones are good to use. What would you suggest oasiscdm?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Is that anywhere near Whykickamoocow?
Gudday
No the tough side of town closest to Kickatinalong...

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Slaking Lime - YouTube
► 0:40► 0:40
www.youtube.com/w...
Oct 29, 2007
Hopefully that's it

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Journeyman

Yes, I searched 'slaked lime' as you suggested and came up with some great vids, like this one. I now know all I need to about this process. :b: <--- I'm so used to a thumbs up that I just can't stop, sorry guys.

Lime Slake - YouTube

Thank you cobblerdave.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Question brickie. I plan to have 5" of refractory cement over the brick of the dome,
You will way too much thermal mass unless you have lots of wood to burn it will take ages to get hot, once hot it should stay there for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
then 12" of perlite lava rocks then 5 more inches of refractory cement. In your opinion does this outer layer have to be refractory cement or can it be normal stuff? Edit: Its that last 5" on the outside that gets the metal bar, far from the fire and holding the whole structure together. On doing calculations there's no way I can bring the floor up to the midpoint of the onion. That means the walls will have to tip out and the inside of the dome will be a bit high. To compensate I think I'll not go 63% on the door height but maybe 50% to 55%, bring that heat down a ways.

Thoughts guys?
At 50 or 55% the oven may not draw properly, its all about the draw.

Normal concrete outside of the insulation is fine.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Journeyman

What do you suggest? I could just put a couple of inches over the brick, or something else... How thick is the refractory cement over your brick dome brickie?

Normal concrete. :b: