Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I haven't the first clue why I'm putting these pics here.
Keep em coming, its nice to see some different stuff and ways apart from ovens too..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is one gorgeous view from your study, mine, as I type, looks my neighbor's brick on his house

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Journeyman

Well okay guys, I'll post a few more.

A pic of the volcanic island where I hope to get perlite. I look at it now and it looks like a huge pile of perlite calling me..."Lancer, Lancer, come and get me Lancer."

[/QUOTE]

Where the pool will be as well as the concrete spiral...

The concrete spiral rises. There is no pool floor except in my mind at this point though the metal bar at the base of the post show where it will be poured. A lot of the guys were looking at me funny then, but no more. None had ever built or even heard of such a thing and neither had I. The steps being poured monolithic with the post as it rose out of the ground from its deep foundation. We could only do 2 steps a day and therefore the post was poured in many small sections over weeks.

Until finally they were all in. I'm smiling because it was a burden in my mind and when it was done I felt light. Ahead of me there was still the pool with then infinity edge waver chair, under the pool tunnel and inclined beach but here I'm free of the post & steps. One of the details that kept me awake at night was planning where the steps would begin and end. With a radius of blah and a height of yadda covering a distance per step of whatever, it kept me awake many nights until I hit on an easy solution. Start by attaching the metal bar for the top step to the post metal bar first where that step >>had to<< end up then work downwards to the bottom step which had a fairly large area where it would be okay to locate the first step. No math, I slept easy that night after coming up with that.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-28-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Journeyman

Came out okay...

Quote:

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Journeyman

So that is width. As far as height is concerned, what's a good height for the cooking floor of the oven?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
So that is width. As far as height is concerned, what's a good height for the cooking floor of the oven?
If I understand the question correctly, mid sternum. The center of your chest. A height that would allow you to view your oven floor without having to bend down.

Just sayin'

Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Journeyman

That's good news, thank you Gulf. :b:

So what do we know?

Above the floor there's 27" of oven space.
Above that 4" of brick.

31"

Then 5" of refractory

36"

12" of perlite

48"

5" of top coat

53"

That describes the dome without the chimney sticking out the top.

I figure 53" to mid sternum.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-28-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Add this one at the top of the list
Insulate Insulate and finally INSULATE!

Regards dave
I have in my plan 7" of perlite in the floor and 12" around the dome. That okay?

Between the brick, 2 layers of 5" refractory and 12" of perlite I have to go through 2' 2" of stuff before I get to the oven. What do you guys think of that? I tell you it gave me pause... To offset it there will be no table built into the sphere, I'll be able to get close. Likely make a roll away table to set in front of the opening.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Journeyman

The wife is great. Sho and I drew a huge circle on the tile of the main deck and in its location an 8' something circle is big. So she knows what I'm planning but not the size of the thing. Told her to go check it out and not a peep, just a thumbs up. Sho is out there right now cutting 8 holes through the tile and cement so we can set small foundations for the round posts. This part is what we do well, posts in any configuration. Camera needs to be fixed or I'd put up pics, though a guy cutting holes can be easily imagined. We have to go to the city this week and take it into the Sony shop. It will start getting interesting when the metal bar starts rising out of the holes.

I also have a plan but no way to post it. You guys know it by now though. When the camera is fixed I'll take a pic of them.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday lancer
Re cooking floor height , might take into account that your a bit taller than the average Phillipino.... A compromise between the two heights might be best. It's great to be the chef but better to be chief chef and pass the duties over to someone else when you want to
Regards dave

My Build

My Door