Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Hey Lancer. There are a few crutches around, a bit like training wheels I suppose and they are all worth the using. All good and fine for the well practised professionals to do what they do but none post their failures.

It is all a learning curve and previously offered wisdom about making dough that suits your climate and oven is just so true. It is all about what works for where you are and how you do it.

There is probably some obscure place in Russia that makes the best pizza in the world, it is about the person and their skills rather than anything else.

With a bit of experimentation I am sure that you will have a local 'expert' in no time. Better to grow one than buy one.

Just my thoughts. Which ever way you go I expect that you will be a legend anyway!
Hiya Greenman, well I don't mind owning up to my mistakes. Just part of life and people can advise and the outcome improve. The result is what matters to me. So far we've had almost no time to deal with the process of making pizzas. There are always projects and stuff going on. Right now my wife is in the US making some dough and will return in the winter sometime. She helps in organizing projects like that. In truth though, we have just been way too busy. Lets see, our laborer, Peter, has been finishing the walls in the laundry room and painting them white. Today I'm buying white tiles for the floor and "sparkly"-(wife) white tiles for the sink. Sho will install the tiles. Sho is currently installing tiles in the pool over a repair we made, he's pretty far along. Fidel is building a cabinet that I designed years ago but never got to.

Projects, projects. They're finally getting caught up.

Anyway when the work is all finished I'm off to Russia to get a pizza.

Last edited by Lancer; 08-25-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:19 AM
Journeyman

The roof of the insulation space and floor of the fuel drier is being formed and poured...

This is the floor of the form partially done. Its supported by 2x3s under.
Once poured all that stuff has to be removed so that was a small trick, make things interesting.

In the center of the circle is, as you know, the chimney coming up.
The big black piece of metal is 1/4" steel. It is the bottom part of a pizza keeper warmer box.
It also is heated by waste heat from the chimney.

This is Fidel, our excellent carpenter. The poured refractory mix doesn't contact the brick, close though.
Its all held up by a series of small posts, also refractory.
Each post is at least 12" from the oven dome and that's a good amount of perlite insulation.
The posts will be completely surrounded by perlite as well, except of course top and bottom.
From above the posts you can see a wall defined by metal bar which rises from floor above the posts.
This will be the fuel drier room. The trick is, what to build the racks out of which the fuel will sit on.
I'm considering calling one of the welders who build the metal gates around here.
Then again, might just buy a tig welder which I'll need for other purposes, tools and trays mostly.

Any advice on this? Ideas?

Last edited by Lancer; 09-29-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Journeyman

These access points will allow removal of the wood and adding of the perlite. Theoretically it could all be dug out and maintenance done.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 AM
Journeyman

Pour starts. Buckets are being run from the mixer outside by 2 helpers. Fidel makes the pour...

Pour is done and the two the access points are visible, also poured.
There is a space at the end of the floor where decorative work will be added.

That's all caught up, its as it stands right now. Work has moved on but will return in a week or two.

Last edited by Lancer; 09-29-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Master Builder

Looking good Lancer. Very interesting to see the progress and look forward to updates.

I am sure that you could find a decent pizza somewhere short of Russia!

There will be some good pizza coming out of that beast once you fire it up.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

G'day Lancer
That is undoubtably the biggest pizza oven structure I have ever seen.... And it's not complete. Can't wait
Thanks for the update
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I Second Dave, this oven is huge, but so are you extended family parties. Thanks for the updates.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Journeyman

I just hope it works guys, or its the dog house for me.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

G'day lancer
You couldn't get a bigger, nicer looking dog house than that.....you and the dog would be quite comfortable in there.
Won't happen though, its coming together nicely, I'm still waiting to see a whole pig in that thing remember
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 AM
Journeyman

Its my one consolation amigo, its a good dog and I'm always welcome.

The pig, yes! Looking forward to that too. Maybe in January-spring time frame if I were to make a wild prediction.