Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Got the 200 bricks in. Potter said they had been done and sitting there for 2 weeks and he hadn't gotten around to calling. Arrg. Am busy with another project anyway.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

G'day
Hope those other project include the " rice husk puck maker". Hah there's a laugh my spell checker swears now .... You can just imagine what it did with rice husk.....?. Now I'd better be real careful
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:09 AM
Journeyman

That's still on the way Cobbler. This one is a change in the pool, making it safer. Sho and I discussed the rice husk briquette maker, but not there yet.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Journeyman

Pool project really moving along now.

Oven is at a stand. Unfortunately either Sho or his family has been sick for going on two weeks.

So I've been thinking about the door. I've gotten down to a metal covered door made of ipil ipil, which is more dense than oak. Looks good on the outside but is shielded inside. Thing is, I want a window. Saw a beautiful glass door here on Forno, but its cost and effort are too much at this time.

So I got thinking of using a Pyrex product mounted in the door. Turns out Pyrex changed their formula and the new formula shatters and blasts glass shards.

Exploding Pyrex Cookware Mystery Solved

Not something I want to be looking through!

There's a European company called Symax that uses the formula (borosilicate) that Pyrex abandoned. Its rated to 900+F. Since its on the door that rating should be fine.

http://www.grayglass.net/glass.cfm/F...id/1/conid/215

Found a Simax 2.5 quart casserole bake ware product that should work. Costs $20.58 currently on Amazon with free shipping for Prime members, which I am. Got 4 on my order...

Simax Glassware 7216 Rectangular Casserole Pan, 2.5-Quart

Another nice thing about Simax is there's nothing stamped in the glass on the bottom.

So, I'll cut a hole in the door matching the casserole dish size and mount it in such a way that it just looks like a window and not a casserole dish stuck in the door. I'll make it so I can switch it out when it gets dirty.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Lancer; 07-27-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is an interesting article on pyrex. With the Ipil wood and glass lookout the door will be nice.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Journeyman

Another case of fixing what isn't broken.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Journeyman

At this level we added a piece of 1/4 steel plate on top of the chimney, such as it is, and will be making a place to keep pizzas warm.
Expansion should be minimal as its not a welded box, in fact the sides of the heater are brick.
In the long and wide dimension it has room to expand. In the 1/4 dimension not so much expansion room,
but how much thicker might it get when heated?
Not much perhaps.

In the pic below the outer wall is poured to height and next comes the floor pour.
For that we'll need to build a form and will include access to get through the floor and pull out the wood form when dry,
and pour in the perlite.
The pour will allow a minimum of 16" in all directions from the oven dome for perlite insulation to be poured in.
From the floor will rise the walls of the fuel dryer/chimney with access from a steel door at the back.
This fuel drier will also allow access to repair all the brick above the floor pour,
just in case the steel plate causes a problem there's access from both sides.

To me it looks industrial, but with a tile mosaic on the outside hopefully it looks better.
Plus the medieval pointed obtuse arch will hopefully add something too.

There is a step in the back which is access to the coming fuel drier.
I found references online about rice husks being turned into fuel briquettes so I know its doable.
Also referenced is how they used these briquettes to melt soft metals so motz ought to be doable.

Out of bricks, ordered 300 more.

Last edited by Lancer; 08-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Master Builder

Hey Lancer - Interesting to watch the progress. I am sure that you will be able to soften the industrial look. Yours is certainly a 'custom' build and it incorporates a wealth of functions and innovations.

Following with interest.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Greenman. This project has certainly been one of the most interesting things I've ever done. So glad I have Sho for the masonry. When we pour the floor our excellent carpenter will build the form with Sho and Peter, the laborer, helping. All great guys with excellent skills.

Functions and innovations yes, but I really miss the onion dome idea. It is however impossible with the fuel drier. Next oven...onion dome!

You posted before I was done editing mine so things might be clearer now, I hope.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 AM
Master Builder

Given your track record on getting over the hurdles on the way to your goal I have no doubt that the 'Onion Dome' will appear in good time.

I see what you are doing and it is very good.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics