Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Gudday
Type in "Tanzania/Canada into the search section of the forum and you will find a build which uses pumice insulation.

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Journeyman

That is a good read, thanks cobblerdave.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/sear...earchid=478079

I'm going to list here what I want to take on down the road...

Silica 38%
"The bricks are fired at about 900 degrees for about a month using smoldering rice husks."
"If you dont provide sideways thrust (buttressing) to an arch it will fail, build some fancy brickwork to the side of the arch."
"Steve, you should start the fires to eliminate the water from the oven before you do the stucco."
"Decide in haste, repent at leisure."

Last edited by Lancer; 04-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Gudday
Add this one at the top of the list
Insulate Insulate and finally INSULATE!

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Journeyman

I'm all over it cobblerdave, though I'm considering altering the insulating plan a bit. I'll have double plenty of vermiculite insulation in the floor as the floor will be raised into the onion dome to define the outward turn of the base of the dome. Then above outside the dome maybe 10" of vermiculite, why not? It will hopefully be cheaper than dirt on a volcanic island, yes? Then the outer coating and eventually the mosaic.

Thanks for the great advice cobblerdave!

Also I'm considering a method that will allow me to omit the brick supports of the arch. Since I'm making my own brick why not make some 12" long, or whatever, that will pass through the structure of the dome and sit on the short bricks of the dome getting support from all the above. I'll also put refractory cement on top of the arch bricks with metal bar and carry that bar into the structure of the dome.

The center of the arch bricks will have to be supported by those to the side and below as the chimney passes through that point, yes? The chimney itself will rise out of the refractory cement which carries the arch brick from above and while that might be heavy remember I'm bending the chimney back into the 10" of insulation and having it come out the top to help create the onion shape.

This might be fun, I'm going for it.

Hmm, I wonder if I could fire a single brick in the shape of the arch itself. The mold would be an interesting carpentry job.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-22-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
metal bar and carry that bar into the structure of the dome.
Steel and ovens dont do well together unless you have the steel away from the heat and insulated.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Journeyman

Interesting Brickie, I was wondering about that earlier. I assume it has to do with expansion and contraction rates of the metal bar vs the refractory cement causing cracks. I wonder if I wrapped the metal bar in duct tape and poured the refractory cement around it? The duct tape would be sure to burn away leaving a thin gap allowing the metal bar a little room to expand into.

What do you think Brickie?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a metal bar in my oven and its wrapped in ceramic fibre to help keep the heat down..

The duct tape will burn away and still leave the bar exposed to the heat.
Gulf likes this.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Journeyman

The melting point of metal bar must be far above anything these stoves can generate, yes? I guess I don't understand...
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
The melting point of metal bar must be far above anything these stoves can generate, yes? I guess I don't understand...
It is not the melting point that is the concern, it is the expansion rate while heating. Under normal (ambient seasonal temperature) conditions, soft steel and concrete will expand at similar rates. When being heated by fire, the expansion rate is too far apart.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
It is not the melting point that is the concern, it is the expansion rate while heating. Under normal (ambient seasonal temperature) conditions, soft steel and concrete will expand at similar rates. When being heated by fire, the expansion rate is too far apart.
Thanks Gulf. Yes I thought that might be the reason. Like the root of a tree growing under a wall when the root grows the wall cracks. Or running hot water on a stuck lid. The lid expands faster than the glass bottle and loosens up a bit. When the bar in an oven expands it cracks the concrete. So I figured that if I wrap the metal bar in duct tape which burns away it will allow a bit of growing room, heat expansion room for the bar. Think it will be enough?

Last edited by Lancer; 04-23-2013 at 11:19 PM.