Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Sorry guys! Its a busy time here with lots of social stuff going on. These posts will take you to where we are as of last Friday.

The dome is closing.

Last edited by Lancer; 05-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Journeyman

A lot of small touching up to do on the inside mortar. After that the whole thing gets cleaned with a wire brush on a drill. I have to assume the silicate in the mix is why Sho had no need for sticks and no bricks falling in. Silicate is what they use here to build normal brick ovens and works very well when exposed to direct heat. They call the stuff silicate but what it is exactly I don't know.

Last edited by Lancer; 05-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Journeyman

Sho is getting into his work. The dome is closed!

Next I want to add a space blanket, then 2" of refractory mortar using perlite instead of sand. After that, a space blanket. Then an inch over that, another space blanket. Then we'll work on the chimney, then the outer dome, then fill the space with perlite insulation between 16" and 20" thick.

The reason for multi layering is the perlite is bright white dust that flows like water almost. Any failure of the brick dome or mortar at any time in the future will cause a flow of perlite into the oven until att the perlite flows out, the stuff does not bridge like fiberglass. So, layers of stuff that might hold if a brick fails could be very useful.

I don't know if the space blankets will melt, but they will allow the layers to solidify independently of each other. So if a brick fails it can't pull in the next layer with it, deepening the hole and getting to the perlite.

Last edited by Lancer; 05-16-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

G'day Lancer
Sorry just read you post as best I could its s bit wide for the I phone format.
Pulled the space blanket out of the first aid kit.
In bold red writing on the packet.
WARNING : This material is highly flammable and conductive of electrical currents. Keep away from naked flame and electrical appliances.
So it looks like plastic and thin metal. Plastic will be effected by heat leaving the aluminum bare and because the moisture will collect against it it will finally corrode as well. On that point, it is not good to have water proof barrier in the dome itself as it traps the moisture and will not allow your oven to dry like it should. Plastic and aluminium will form a moisture proof barrier.
Myself I think your mortar layer over the bricks should be sufficient.
Perhaps a layer of pearlite cement would be more flexible than a layer of render?
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Lancer,
Is that solid concrete under those posts or are they pavers? You have a massive amount of weight there.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Journeyman

Good points cobbler, I'll leave off the space blankets. Thanks for checking that out! :b:

david, no worries. First thing we did is cut through the concrete floor and dig out a foundation for each post pour. Then added metal bar which goes all the way up from the foundation, through the posts and connects to the bar in the table.
david s likes this.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Master Builder

Hey Lancer - The dome looks good. You should be happy with the job so far, it is an interesting build.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Greenman! I am pleased with it, and Sho's work has been excellent.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Journeyman

Well what joy. 500 bricks in and we have to order 200 more. That means another 5 weeks...of just waiting. :arg:

Theoretically we could fire it, cook out the water, and make a few pizzas. I can't think of a good reason why not. Dome is complete and we ran out a ways into the chimney. Right now its just going up and hasn't curled back towards the top of the dome yet. So, it should function...

Last edited by Lancer; 05-21-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Master Builder

I see no reason that you could not dry the dome and use it. Might not be at peak efficiency but you should be able to use it. Just need to hasten slowly as you dry it out and get it up to pizza temps.

If your build was an Olympic event every stage would have a degree of difficulty of 10. Your ingenuity when it comes to materials is quite special.

Enjoy your first pizza.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics