Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Just put in an order for 200 additional brick. Whatever is left over will go into the rocket stoves.

Likely we'll run out in a week or so. At that point while waiting for the brick we'll start on the onion. Figure I'll take one sheet of plywood and using a compressed black plastic flexible plumbing pipe create an arc matching the bulbous side of the onion. Then we'll mark that on the ply, cut it out. On the concrete table the oven sits on will make a line all the way about using a clear water filled hose so it will be perfectly level. Then we build a frame and raise the plywood up and mark a line on it matching the line on the table. Then we attach a tube level to the plywood and level the ply to the line on the table. Now we just work our way around forming metal bar into the shape cut out on the plywood. The plywood will be mobile, matched to the line on the table, and always re-leveled perfectly. When the metal bar is all done, basically a large onion shaped cage, we start adding concrete, right on up. When we get to the top of the cut out we figure the rest of the return towards the chimney. Before we get there we'll pour the perlite refractory insulation into the void. Early on I figured 12" of loose perlite but I was wrong. There will be 16" of loose perlite all around, and 9" of perlite/pumice under.

So...

Fire/brick/16" perlite/onion with metal bar which will be wrapped in tape and paper. Perhaps that stuff will burn away but the slight empty space around the bar will still be there. So, if the heat gets through 16" of insulation it still can't expand the bar enough to crack the concrete. I kinda doubt it will ever get that hot though, what do you guys think?

In the concrete mix of the onion I'm considering leaning mostly on portland though there will still be some clay and lime just in case, any ideas on this?

Edit: Just found this...

http://www.perlite.org/library-perli...insulation.pdf

It shows that 4" of loose filled perlite has an R factor of 12.5! So, multiply that by 4 and that 16" void will provide a non-conductive R factor of...F I F T Y :lol: I could heat this thing with a match. I'm so happy I could dance a jig my amigos! That is extraordinarily good news. It means fuel savings and as you guys know holding high temps is a must. I could dance a jig.

Last edited by Lancer; 03-06-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: I could dance a jig!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like a workable plan. Are you using flexible flue pipe, have seen that some where recently

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Journeyman

Nah Oasis, am using brick as I imagine Brickie would. He suggested this idea back some pages and it just made sense, lots of it too. So, basically I'm building the flue out of brick.

Today we ran out of brick, yesterday we ordered 200 more. So, Monday we shift over to the onion though that might take a day or three to get up to speed. Basically the potter who makes the brick has to go out to the red clay deposit by the river and dig it out. Meanwhile the guy who digs out silicate etc will get that. They mix whatever potters mix and set it in forms to make bricks which they then dry in the sun. When the bricks are dry they bake them underground in the potter's kiln.

Might be a while.

Last edited by Lancer; 03-07-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The waiting would about me. E.g. waiting for I weeks for the bullnose bricks the same as my house bricks once I didn't about 2 weeks sourcing them. And due to me occupation was driving past the yard they were being stored every day as I preached to clients. Most frustrating. Sometimes I would stop, and could almost reach then through the fence. When he they finally got delivered to the owners yard the guy bought the wrong ones he bought the double bullnose, strengthening.. then the owner asked me to meet the guy at the storage yard the one I drive pat every day. Double arrrrgggghhhhh.

All up started that quest about 8th January got the bricks a couple of weeks back.

At least yours have to be made......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

At least yours have to be made......
That's the thing amigo. First the stuff has to be dug out. Then it has to be formed in molds, then put out of the molds in the sun. The sun then dries the brick and they are moved to the kiln and fired. This whole process takes time, maybe a month. Its the drying in the sun that is the long bit. Sometimes the sun isn't out much. However this is the dry season, the sun is shining day in day out and I''m hoping for a couple hundred bricks within a month, but we'll just wait for the call.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Journeyman

The onion isn't going to work, coming up with a new plan. Not easy to give it up but...maybe next time with a planned regular sized oven. Trying to figure a way to use the waste heat that goes out the chimney to dry the planned fuel donuts. In the process of making them out of rice hulls they are soaked in water to leach out the starches which bind the compressed stuff together. Normally they are hung out to dry for a few days but I have no place for this.

The plan is to have a chimney/chamber above the insulated oven space where the donuts can be set to dry. That made the onion impractical. So, back to the drawing board. Hope to come up with an interesting but non historical shape that will compliment the regular onion dome oven when we build it. Not easy to let go of this idea but, life goes on. To make a double chamber (oven/drier) oven the onion would have been about the size of one of those huge gas balloons people ride in. Aint gunna work.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Compromise isn't always a bad thing, but sorry you couldn't realize your vision. That's been pretty much the running theme on my oven. I'm back to cedar shakes for the roof instead of stone....it's a time issue. We are relocating and I don't have the extra time needed to do the stone....save it for the next one.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

G'day Lancer
Well I can't say I'm not disappointed about the onion dome... But its been your plan from the start to have "local" fuel source. So what's this about rice husk fuel donuts? .... Tell us more, that's sounds interesting.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Journeyman

stonecutter, you will do the stone roof and I will do the onion. Just has to be right. Your next place and my next oven...

cobblerdave, I'll do the onion, far from given up on it. That's a fact. Have already planned a second, more normal sized oven on site and it will be an onion dome.

The fuel source is free. There is an endless supply of rice husks here and I believe they can be compressed and fired as these folks have done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBq-GQPIFY
Old 03-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Journeyman

Sho cutting brick a couple weeks ago before we ran out. Potter is making 200 more.

The intersection...

The long arch...

Last edited by Lancer; 03-18-2014 at 06:10 AM.