Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

We held a pizza night last weekend and it was one of the worst nights we have ever had.
I invited a bloke I used to work with, he brought his wife and two kids, they were so feral they spoilt the night for everyone.
The wife never got off her phone texting her friends about what a great night she was having? and playing music and videos all night too, all the while her feral kids were running amok.

They wont be coming again.....
Bec1208 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Journeyman

Ah well, its over anyway. Best thing that can be said about an evening like that.

One thing I like about large parties is if someone is acting the idiot in one place, I just go somewhere else.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Journeyman

First time I've ever owned a Rottweiler and its a great, even tempered dog. Steady as a rock, wide shoulders, broad head, black as night except for a little brown around the snout. The lot isn't too big for running so I take him in the pool swimming and never a complaint though in the beginning he really looked like he wasn't enjoying himself. Now I just pick him up and jump in the pool and I walk and guide him in circles, he knows the drill. Finally I'll direct him toward the chair over the ocean which is where he likes to go and rest, he can stand there. Well he's like a horse heading for the barn, he really picks up the effort and tries really hard to get to the chair, great exercise. This happens twice a day most days. Name is Gary after a long time friend back in Oregon.

Gary is good with the kids, makes a deep barrel chested bark even at 7 months, poops where he's supposed to poop... I sleep better with Gary on the job. I know if someone tries to get on the property he'll wake me up and give time to arm myself and respond, and that's all important. Don't like the thought of being caught with my pants down.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Journeyman

Friggin dog puked in the pool the other day just after I finished cleaning it and the day before my wife's friends from her school days had their meeting here. Bad dog! I had to clean it again that evening and early morning the day of the party. Ahh well, life goes on. The good news is that an Aussie friend is married to my wife's classmate and he brought his brother and we had a great time. :b:
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the 'like' Brickie.

Right now I'm waiting. The guys that I need to help me are doing other stuff. Mostly Bonifacio, aka Sho, who is my brother in law and talented mason.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-20-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Journeyman

Hey guys check out this vid. Let me give you a background first. They take rice husks, coconut leaves, biomass of any sort and soak it in water for a few days. I think this releases starches to aid in binding. Then they press out the water as shown and hang the fuel bricks on a rod to dry. The fuel bricks have a hole in the middle.

What do you guys think, solve the problem we discussed in the previous thread? Bonifacio has a couple kids just about the age where a few extra pesos are just the thing. They've already started doing odd jobs and could make fuel bricks.

School Fuel - Google Project 10 to 100th - YouTube
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Give it a go............at least it could supplement your main fuel. Creative use of waste material. BTW, are you on a outer island in the Phillipines or the mainland?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Journeyman

The main island I guess would be Luzon to the north where Manila is however there's another huge one to the south, Mindanao. I'm in the middle on Bohol just south of Cebu Island. Bohol is considered to be a bit of a smallish backwater I'm happy to say, away from the busy areas. Makes it a trick to locate stuff I need and that's why I'm planning on firing my own bricks and going to the volcanic island of Camiguin for pumice. No super home stores here yet, have to get it from nature. Likely a well stocked home store in Manila but that's far. Do you know the Philippines, UtahBeehiver?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not a clue about the Phillipines so your description of where you live relative to Manila makes it all the more interesting on how you need to be creative to build your WFO!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Journeyman

It is going to be interesting certainly. On the flip side its a great place to find talented labor at a reasonable cost. Working on the house I pay the professional mason, my brother in law and the carpenter about $8 a day which is more than the going rate plus give them a daily cooked lunch of fish usually and veggies and rice. In other words they love working here. I can imagine an onion dome WFO and tell them the materials and proportions and how to do stuff but these guys do the project itself. Sometimes they suggest a better or more artistic way to do things. So this is one advantage I have which offsets some of the difficulties I face in this project.

Old pics.

Great metal work...

Communication can happen!

Good friends...

Last edited by Lancer; 04-21-2013 at 05:14 PM.