Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Lancer,

That is one big oven!! I am curious, have you done any experimenting with how hot the rice husk fuel will get and will you need to supplement the husks with a higher BTU content fuel. Sure interesting to watch your build and great to see that life is moving on in your part of the world.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Lancer
10 in pizza might be a better option actually then a 2 ft one.
The roof height at 27 might be great for a pig but a pizza is a bit lower to the floor.
In a high dome 42 in my dome roof is 20 in above the hearth floor. There are times when the bases cook faster than the toppings. Easy solved lift the pizza on the peal into the super heat closer to the roof and brown them off. Not to easy with a 2 ft pizza however.
A still think you should think about lowering the dome ( and resulting door height) heat only radiates so far. The roman ones were big but were they cooking pigs and pizza?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm pretty sure that the Ancient Roman used pumice for their insulation. There is plenty of it in Pompeii as it's at the base of Mt Vesuvius. They transported tons of the stuff from Pompeii back to Rome to build the dome of the Pantheon, which is still the worlds largest unreinforced dome. Because of the weight in the top part of the dome being a problem they carefully graduated the aggregate and the wall thickness as the dome got higher. The base of the walls are 7 metres thick from memory.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Lancer,

That is one big oven!! I am curious, have you done any experimenting with how hot the rice husk fuel will get and will you need to supplement the husks with a higher BTU content fuel. Sure interesting to watch your build and great to see that life is moving on in your part of the world.
No trials of the rice husks. Wood and coconut charcoal is available to bring the heat up if needed.

Here's a vid on the process, take a look. We can use other stuff until we get to this project.

School Fuel - Google Project 10 to 100th - YouTube
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day Lancer
10 in pizza might be a better option actually then a 2 ft one.
The roof height at 27 might be great for a pig but a pizza is a bit lower to the floor.
In a high dome 42 in my dome roof is 20 in above the hearth floor. There are times when the bases cook faster than the toppings. Easy solved lift the pizza on the peal into the super heat closer to the roof and brown them off. Not to easy with a 2 ft pizza however.
A still think you should think about lowering the dome ( and resulting door height) heat only radiates so far. The roman ones were big but were they cooking pigs and pizza?
Regards dave

I'm glad you posted this cobbler, I had planned to raise it by putting an upright brick as the first row. Now I'll just start with the dome.

I've been considering making a second oven of the proper size later, for smaller get togethers. Also planning now to open a pizza place here to make a few extra pesos and employ the family when the construction is finished. The wife talked to me about it a while back. When the family and friends who built this place are finished with construction some of them will be out of work. My bro in law has a wife and 4 kids to feed. If he's working then he feeds them, if not we put food on the table. Also, he's a good cook. In a way he's free labor since we have to provide if he's not working. While the location wasn't picked for a business and could be a lot better, at least its on the busy main road, but not in a major town.

Last edited by Lancer; 02-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Ancient Roman used pumice for their insulation. There is plenty of it in Pompeii as it's at the base of Mt Vesuvius. They transported tons of the stuff from Pompeii back to Rome to build the dome of the Pantheon, which is still the worlds largest unreinforced dome. Because of the weight in the top part of the dome being a problem they carefully graduated the aggregate and the wall thickness as the dome got higher. The base of the walls are 7 metres thick from memory.
Pumice would be perfect for that use David. "The rock that floats" is very light weight, and strong as well since its honeycombed. I guess that comes from the release of gas while its lava, but not sure. Thanks for this history! I had no idea...
Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Journeyman

I've got a question for you guys. As cobbler said the heat might not get down to the pizza from up high. So I'm starting with no soldier course. Just had an idea to bring the floor up. Usually the floor is laid out and then the dome built on top. What if I built the dome off the pictured recent pour and then laid out the brick floor within the finished dome? That would mean its 25" floor to ceiling instead of 27".

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I've got a question for you guys. As cobbler said the heat might not get down to the pizza from up high. So I'm starting with no soldier course. Just had an idea to bring the floor up. Usually the floor is laid out and then the dome built on top. What if I built the dome off the pictured recent pour and then laid out the brick floor within the finished dome? That would mean its 25" floor to ceiling instead of 27".

Thoughts?
Definitely do that.

A 2 inch layer of insulation with the bricks on top of that would make it 23 inches.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doing that way also enables you to replace floor bricks if need be. Leave about a 6 mm gap between the floor bricks and the dome to allow for expanding floor bricks.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Definitely do that.

A 2 inch layer of insulation with the bricks on top of that would make it 23 inches.
The only insulation I have is perlite. I've seen folks making floor insulation out of 5 perlite to 1 portland. That's right under the brick. When the heat gets down there and weakens the portland, what keeps the perlite together?

I could do another 2" of the mix I already made but its got clay and silicate and lime in it. Those things add strength when hot but detract from insulating ability. I'm concerned I'm just making more mass to heat with a minimal gain in inches closer to the ceiling.

I'm willing to do that but I would need there to be a few more folks here telling me the loss would be worth the gain.

Anyone?