Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

I'm pleased with them so far. I saw bricks like these made by the same guy in action in a stove exposed to intense direct flame and not at all cracked. One thing I was concerned about was the heat being too intense in the kiln and cracking the bricks but it was only up to 700F which is close to pizza oven temps and so far so good, no cracks. Next week with the new coal and a 12V fan blowing in the side we'll try again to crack them.

As you say, uniform in size too. The potter may yet end up with pizza invite for his efforts.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Journeyman

Did the 2nd burn last night with the epil epil charcoal, used a regular 220V fan. It was hotter than hell, but was it hot enough? Still too hot to disassemble at this time, try a piece of limestone either this evening or tomorrow when the kiln is disassembled, see if it goes through the endothermic reaction when water is added. Late last night it started raining so I ran down and covered the kiln with a beach umbrella. I was very concerned it would burn but the fabric was high enough over the top and the heat was much reduced by this time. The base which actually went into the oven is metal. The kiln was still very hot and I'm sure it quickly cooked off what drops got in. Got pics of the process excepting the midnight beach umbrella Charlie Chaplin act, which I'll put up eventually. For now just imagine the brick kiln from last time, 6" taller, partially buried in sand and wrapped in hardiflex and sheet metal with a sheet of aluminum on top raised a couple inches by a few bricks. That reflected heat back down. After the fire took the fan was switched from slow to medium and even high for a while. Once the smoke cleared I switched it back down to medium, didn't want to blow away too much heat.

I really hope this worked.

There are 6 sacks of charcoal in each BIG sack. Its the smaller sacks that cost P60 each. The big sacks cost P360 each and there was 2 in last nights burn, or P720, or slightly less than $17 USD. That makes it a tad spendy to do this. I much preferred when I thought it was 2 sacks at P60, or a sack and a half for the first burn.

Last edited by Lancer; 12-09-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post

The big sacks cost P360 each and there was 2 in last nights burn, or P720, or slightly less than $17 USD. That makes it a tad spendy to do this.

I occasionally buy charcoal and a 10kg bag costs A$15......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Journeyman

Don't know what it weighs but I think one of the smaller 6 bags which makes up a larger bag is a standard cement sack. So, 6 cement sacks.

I guess I better quit complaining about the cost of charcoal.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Journeyman

It half worked. We get a partial reaction with some of the limestone dissolving into bubbly quicklime while the rest just sits there. We need another hundred degrees. So, we're going to half fill the kiln with charcoal and the other half with limestone, then wrap the whole thing with insulation...which might melt. Put a reflective side in and hope for the best.

If nothing else the bricks are really well fired.

Last edited by Lancer; 12-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
It half worked. We get a partial reaction with some of the limestone dissolving into bubbly quicklime while the rest just sits there. We need another hundred degrees. So, we're going to half fill the kiln with charcoal and the other half with limestone, then wrap the whole thing with insulation...which might melt. Put a reflective side in and hope for the best.

If nothing else the bricks are really well fired.
Just out of interest what temp did you fire to?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-10-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Journeyman

Kiln was all wrapped up Brickie, hard to get the thermometer in but I'm guessing it was over 800F, mostly by the results. With the insulation, plus setting the aluminum sheet right on top of the limestone in the kiln, it might get the extra 100F. There's still room around the edges of the sheet for the smoke and heat to escape but not as much. Oh for a half a ton of real coal...

I'm very impressed at what it takes to achieve pizza oven temps. Problem might be the limestone, its described as "young" and "porous". The limestone I see being used on youtube is hard as a rock. This stuff isn't that stuff. The chemistry may be the same but the density isn't. Don't know what difference that would make...

Last edited by Lancer; 12-11-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Journeyman

Since firing the kiln puts very fine ash in the pool that's tough to remove I've been put on notice by the missus no more burns until after the holidays.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I guess we all have "SWMBO"..............

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Journeyman

I can't wait Utah. SWMBO?