Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Thanks guys!

So here is the kiln. Took a piece of limestone off the top a little while ago, put it in a bowl and added water and...nothing. It didn't get hot enough. So, we pick up the last 50 bricks on Saturday and will be able to make the kiln taller and that will mean more space for coconut coal. Then I'll take a 12V fan and put it in front of the air intake. A good friend advised me to use a fan and I was considering doing that this time but didn't want it to burn too hot. This was a test case and I learned I need to force the temp up. More fuel, forced air...

The limestone was damp from washing and so the first thing the fuel had to do is create steam. Next time the limestone will be washed and dried prior to cooking.

Lastly I think I need more hardiflex scraps on the outside of the brick to stop breezes from taking away heat. Air moves between the bricks too easily.

Pics...

Start of construction. The kiln is built on a base 8" deep, filled with ocean gravel and bordered by 2x8s.

Its 2 bricks wide at the base, 1 brick higher up. The coconut coal sits on a steel grate.

This is the main air intake though there are 2 more smaller ones on the ends.

Last edited by Lancer; 12-03-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Journeyman

A look from in the air intake.

It got bigger. Still not high enough so we picked up 50 of the last 100 bricks on Saturday.

The first layer of cc 16" deep.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Journeyman

Its full height. The layers were the original 16" of cc, then 16" of limestone, 5" of cc the 12" of limestone which comes out the top.

The hardiflex breeze block. Hate to buy a sheet of the stuff for this purpose but this is all we have so...

Starting the fire. The breeze died way down and there was very little all night. Still, what there was didn't help.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Journeyman

This is more steam than smoke. I'm guessing that the limestone close to the cc is hopefully done but the kiln is still too hot to dig the stuff out.

It got hot. After I put away the camera the red glow moved up into the whole of the cc. This is early on, but I still wouldn't want to stick my hand it there. With the 12v fan blowing into this it would really burn hot and fast. I'm guessing that's better because it burned all night. Duration doesn't help. The thermometer showed 700F. Best temp for this is 1000F. I doubt we can get that high but our limestone is small so the heat should penetrate quickly. They do good sized rocks at 1000F. If it still doesn't work then its time to pack the lava rock insulation around the thing, but that would be a huge hassle.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Journeyman

So we take our knowledge into the next burn, pick up the last 50 bricks on Saturday and next week we get it going really hot, see what happens. The cc for this burn cost less than $2. Oh for some real coal! Not around here though...

Here's a great pic Dolores took. We sleep on this balcony. That started during the power outage and continues, its great out there.

Tatay: "Abby, Santa put gifts under the tree!" Abby: "You said Papa Jesus was coming for Christamas!" Tatay: "Papa Jesus is coming but we don't know when. Santa brought this stuff. This is the day we celebrate Papa Jesus birthday." Abby: ":huh:" Meanwhile I'm wondering how this holiday got so screwed up, I never noticed it before. Santa? Who is Santa again?

All the best pics are Dolores pics!

Lights aren't finished, we're out of extension cords. Every year same thing, I figure it has something to do with another dimension filled with the things. Something to do with quantum.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lancer,

Great to see that you are able to try and find normalcy with all tragic events your end of the world has seen this year. Very interesting to watch your lime conversion process.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Lancer
What's the process for hydrating after heating. I've seen some u tube clips where the hot limestone is place in water. And I remember seeing my grandfather put burnt shell in clay pits out in the sun which were stirred over a number? of days.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Journeyman

Glad you're enjoying Utah. We are wholeheartedly embracing the return to what passes for normal! Ice in an evening drink, cold sodas, a fan when the breeze dies, the internet. Great fun Christmas shopping... Haven't had an aftershock in days.

Doesn't have to be hot cobblerdave. Once the limestone gets hot enough it becomes quicklime. Looks the same but its rather caustic. It can cool down to the prevailing temps, doesn't matter. Once you're ready to make hydrated or slaked lime just add water, and heat will result. Chemical reaction plus the limestone will be so incredibly dry that it will boil and bubble when water is added. Immediately can be used to paint something if a lot of water is added or putty or mortar if less is added. The refractory mix will be a lot more involved than just slaked lime, but alone its very useful. We have 4 cubic meters of white limestone, enough for a lot more than just the pizza oven. Ought to be interesting if I can actually get the stuff hot enough. Next try will be next week. We're bringing in Ipil Ipil charcoal. Ipil Ipil is a very dense wood, more dense than oak. Throw it in water and it sinks. So I'm hoping the charcoal will burn hotter than coconut charcoal, particularly with a fan feeding in air.
brickie in oz likes this.

Last edited by Lancer; 12-05-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Journeyman

Brickie was here! :b:
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday lancer
Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't help noticing the bricks they don't look to bad, they certainly are uniform.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door