Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Thank you Greenman. The president of the Philippines was in Tagbilaran, Bohol today and promised that the 3 destroyed bridges would be replaced within a year. That's good...but a year! That's good though.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Missed the news tonight ,home to late. Was a bit of a shock to read your post. Glad everything's alright in your household. My prayers for all in the Philippines
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lance,

Glad you and family okay, just heard on the news this morning about an earthquake abt 400 miles from Manila and thought cross my mind if this was near you, apparently so. Best wishes and glad everyone is safe.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-16-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I appreciate them.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Journeyman

We've started the foundation of the kiln. About 8" of gravel in a box measuring maybe 4' x 5'. That's to protect the tile and cement and I'm satisfied that it will do so.

On top of this foundation we'll build the kiln to turn limestone into quicklime. The kiln will be made of the fire bricks stacked up like a chimney and loaded with alternating layers of coconut coal and limestone. We'll wrap the chimney up with tie wire and set a fire under it. It should burn all night.

Still have aftershocks which can be in the 5+ range so that makes me a little nervous. Lots of wire wraps will hopefully hold it together in the event one hits at a bad time. Won't be burning before maybe late next week so maybe things will calm down some more. They are a lot less frequent that they were.

Amazingly they've counted over 3000 aftershocks. Most of those were barely felt or not felt, but some were quite strong, including a 5.5 that had us running out of here. Two nights ago there was one that seemed stronger but they listed as 5.2, but then took that down again. My guess is they'll upgrade it.

Anyway, hopefully soon there will be some progress.

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Good to here from you again.
I have some friends in New Zealand from Wellington and they recon the aftershocks are worse than the big one as it keeps you on edge all the time.
How about some pics of the lime cooker in action that would be interesting.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Journeyman

Will do! The plan is to move along on the oven now. We have the limestone for making quicklime, the pumice, the bricks, the silicate, the red clay, the portland...and lastly 3 cubics of sand is on order. What am I forgetting? Metal bar for the onion, but that's no problem getting. Anything else?

Until then here's some pics of our first adventure after the 7.2, a trip to Tagbilaran. All back ways now through the hills due to bridges out.

Pass a fair amount of stuff that is damaged.

Got jungle?

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Journeyman

A tad rough and some spots not overly graded.

Some spots were quite nice.

Rice

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Journeyman

This fell. When one looks at broken posts it usually becomes evident why they broke. Sometimes there is no metal bar, other times its the thin bar normally used in block walls and a much thicker bar is called for.

I look not only at the destruction but at the amount of work and danger that will go into the removal. People don't just have to rebuild...they have to take apart and remove.

Don't know what this was. Observation tower? Lots of weight up high. That's something I was very conscious of in my buildings.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Journeyman

Lightweight, traditional buildings fared very well.

If this guy fell off he got right back on.

ICM Mall in Tag

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.