Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne73 View Post
Holly crap ...wow!
Can you elaborate please Wayne?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm curious..maybe I missed this. Are you building the Onion dome as the oven surround or as the oven itself?

That's a pretty ambitious project, good for you. This might be the first Russian Orthodox pizza oven ever built.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Journeyman

Its in Portugal stonecutter, might have been moor built but really I have no idea, just like the look. I like to build stuff that's fun.

The plan as it is now, there will be a dome within and that will be the oven and a lot of insulating done with two voids as described above. Two voids means three layers of material. The last will be the outside of the onion dome...but yes, the onion dome is the oven. So, the oven itself will be a bit onion shaped as it will have more of the circle while most domes shown have half. As a consequence I'll likely raise the floor within the dome to help support the walls which will be going out then turning in (needing a bit more support) and bring the inside of the dome back to a more normal configuration. But! From outside, an onion dome.

Clear as mud mud I'm sure, a bit tired.

Looking at it helps my thinking. Plus I just like it.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-11-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lance,

Cool, you just gave me and idea on the finale for my oven. I am cladding in copper and this onion dome has the brain juices flowing.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Journeyman

Hey that's great Russel, I'm glad to hear it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Journeyman

Just thinking, the circular floor should be formed as the base of the onion, the outward going part, and then a somewhat normal dome built on top, completing the sphere. Like one of those plastic Easter eggs, the bottom and top fit to make the whole.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did see that it was in Portugal, the Russia orthodox thing was more of my attempt at humor. I know I have something that shows how to frame out an onion done somewhere. If you want I'll see if I can dig it up.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Journeyman

I saw something that may be like what you're describing online. Thing is, this project is not done the way the ancients did it, unless they cooked pizza in theirs too?

Might help, I just don't know. Don't want you to have to go out of your way. The only construction question I have is how to transition from the slightly flattened sphere to the top bit that defines the onion. The arc reverses at the top a bit and that will encompass the chimney. How did the ancients do that? Framing...it might help. I have to define the inner dome in order to set bricks, yes? Seen several different ways of doing that here including a plywood frame that was burned out and made a big fire early. Interesting stuff.

So if I framed it out and then when the oven is done set fire to it, well that's taking a chance.

Here's the one I found while looking for a dome I liked...about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Special Roof Construction | Steeple Construction | Dome Construction | Vault Construction

Last edited by Lancer; 04-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post

Might help, I just don't know. Don't want you to have to go out of your way. The only construction question I have is how to transition from the slightly flattened sphere to the top bit that defines the onion. The arc reverses at the top a bit and that will encompass the chimney. How did the ancients do that? Framing...it might help. I have to define the inner dome in order to set bricks, yes? Seen several different ways of doing that here including a plywood frame that was burned out and made a big fire early. Interesting stuff.

So if I framed it out and then when the oven is done set fire to it, well that's taking a chance.

Here's the one I found while looking for a dome I liked...about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Special Roof Construction | Steeple Construction | Dome Construction | Vault Construction
I searched everywhere for that info and couldn't find it..sorry about that!

I'm not so sure that building all of the masonry including your oven into the shape of an onion dome is a practical idea. This is not because I think it won't bake well, but from a building standpoint, your oven with that shape will make for a difficult process..for no gain on performance. Definitely wow factor.

Looking at the picture you posted, why couldn't you just build a dome with the floor at the level of the springing point of the onion. Follow standard procedure for a brick dome or vault, then, after that is built you could frame out the OD and finish it the way you want...tile,stucco, etc. You can still create the look you want doing it this way, and it would greatly simplify the building process. Just a thought.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very cool idea, but agree with Stonecutter that there seem to be some real issues with an onion shaped oven - efficiency, cooking space, difficulty. Seems like you could have the bottom of the onion be the base/hearth - which you could pretty easily pour with concrete, and the pizza oven dome be the top. It would be an ordinary pompeii except that the contours of the base + dome make an onion dome. Cover the whole thing with mosaic tile and you have something pretty cool