Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Let me guess, its all Teak.....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Thats one b i g oven.......
Yeah, too big mate! But, can cook a pig with a fraction of the wood, and that's a biggy. Plus I ordered a bending brake and a throatless cutter, can make a big juice pan. The locals love the juice on rice. Going to make all my own tools, trays, whatever. Nowhere here can one buy a 2' wide pizza paddle. There's just no demand.

54" interior dimension, 27" high...its the 12" of pumice plus 5" concrete all around which really fills it out.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Plus I ordered a bending brake and a throatless cutter,
Links, pics, price? Please....

Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Let me guess, its all Teak.....?
Haven't seen Teak around here. The fancy wood is all mahogany and ipil ipil. The supports for the floor pour are jemolina which is still kind of a hard wood but common and doesn't look much better with varnish. All those supports can be removed now the floor is dry, just haven't got a round tuit yet.

Here's mahogany in the bar. Caught the guys, Peter on the left and Fidel on the right, both amigos, having a moments sit down. All overhead work, hour after hour.

Anyway the bar top and pretty much everything else here is mahogany. Its pretty cheap here. In fact years ago we built a 10 person boarding house and some of the studs are mahogany. I was amazed! The painted wood is jemolina.

This is the corner of the cabinets over the bar, mahogany. Going to fill the yet to arrive glass shelves with wine glasses, put it all behind windows and light up those LEDs above for a sparkly effect. Fidel is a really talented carpenter. Fourth grade education but you would never know it. My design but the guy is an artist in wood!

Last edited by Lancer; 08-03-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice........

Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Journeyman

Haven't received either the bending brake or cutter yet. I order the stuff from Amazon, it gets shipped to my place in Oregon where my father in law puts it in LBC boxes and ships it to us here. So it takes 3 months, often more, to get the stuff.

Search Amazon for these and you can see them...

3mm THROATLESS ROTARY SHEAR PLATE CUTTER Cutting Sheet Metal *FREE SHIPPING* $189

30" Steel Bending Brake Sheet Metal Bender Tool $42.40
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Gudday lancer
I have just looked at those photos... More than once I might add . That oven of yours is truly humungus you'll definitly get a full pig or I recon 2 in there.
Question: how tall will the top of the structure be from the deck? Being onion shaped and all.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Journeyman

Well we haven't gotten that far yet. I can tell you Dave there's pigs and there's PIGS and we'll be doing a PIG in there. Also, yes 54" is a big oven but not SO big. I took a look and there's a guy building a 48" oven. Likely that guy has access to a good insulating blanket and doesn't have to add 12" of pumice. I'd love to have an insulating blanket and fill in the pumice over it, but hard to find.

To establish the height I have to determine the sides using a piece of plywood with a half circle on it. The plywood will contact the 14" wall at a specific height and be movable as the onion rises. As it rises the wall pumice will be added in between the brick dome and the 5" concrete onion. It will have attached a level for vertical and a mark which must correspond to a mark on the 14" base. So, between the mark and the level the plywood will be established in space in relation to the base of the dome.

Onion domes are squashed spheres, not true spheres. So the half circles will not be half a sphere off the base, though half a smaller onion dome squashed sphere. This will help keep the height of the wfo down. The top will be joined by a sort of incline which culminates in the (2) 6" chimneys. The chimneys will rise from above the door to the top of the onion inside the 12" insulation. The access to the oven will be through a series of medieval pointed obtuse arches increasing in size in steps as an accent. Smaller size close to the oven larger toward the outside. I'll personally do the math on that and cut plywood forms for Sho to follow. There will also be smaller mpoas in a design around the 14" base when the time comes for pretty stuff. That should tie together the opening and the accents, theoretically.

mpoas as an accent...though in a different configuration then I have planned.

Last edited by Lancer; 08-03-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
2 x 6 in chimneys is that enough? The formula that I have seen recommends 15 per cent of the opening size. You got your width and oven height so door opening should be setted as well which will give you a chance to check chimney size required
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
2 x 6 in chimneys is that enough? The formula that I have seen recommends 15 per cent of the opening size. You got your width and oven height so door opening should be setted as well which will give you a chance to check chimney size required
Regards dave
2- 6 inch chimneys gives you roughly 56.5 sq inches of flue

2- 8 inch would provide a much better flue at 100.5 sq inches

I have a 42 inch oven with a 10 inch flue this gives me a 78 inch cross section and it breathes well, no smoke out the front. I know I am oversized slightly for my oven but I agree with Dave, you should up the flues to at least 2 - 7 inch at 78 sq inches or 2 - 8's at 100.5

Keeping with your 2 flue design.
Just my two cents