Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

OK, makes sense now, I just couldnt work out the basket shaped reo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Journeyman

That's good.

Have a plan to leave a 1" center hole in the table to drain the "basket" during construction or anytime it gets wet. There will be a slight incline up from the hole to the circumference wall in all directions. It will be covered by pumice but water could pass under it or through it over time. I don't guess that water under the pumice will be the end of the world. In fact I consider the 8" of base insulation and 12+ inches on the sides to be a great feature for clearing water away from the center of the oven. This should shed water no problem, allowing for an earlier restart of high temps. Less water to slowly cook out of the system. Right?

Last edited by Lancer; 07-06-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Less water to slowly cook out of the system. Right?
Yes and no.
Im guessing its humid where you live, so just the atmospheric moisture alone will get into the oven, if its say 60% humidity then the oven will be damp, warm damp, so you wont feel it with your hand.

The drain hole is a good idea and one that every oven should incorporate.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Journeyman

Yes but the salt air will add flavor.

Going to add "Sahara cement" to the outside 5" of concrete and either find or have made a decorative chimney cap which sheds water. Going to try to avoid putting this (hopefully) beautiful onion dome under a roof.

I figure after I put out a good idea might as well ruin whatever rep I gained from it. :doh:
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Going to try to avoid putting this (hopefully) beautiful onion dome under a roof.
Built correctly and painted with acrylic paint it shouldnt need a roof.
I would however devise a way to keep the weather out of the oven opening, either orientate the oven correctly of have some sort of weather proofing either permanent or temporary in place.

Where did you lose cred?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Journeyman

Good idea!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Journeyman

Here's an Irish "Cob oven". When they form the decorations on the front they make some pattern that pleases them. I could do something like with sand and cement and make a pattern that sheds water to the sides and covers the floor a bit.

How to make a cob oven or clay oven Part three - YouTube
Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The first oven they show in the "cob oven" vid looks remarably like a refractory cement cast dome.
Its on youtube, it must be true....?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Journeyman

Lets see, straw, clay, yeah, its a wfo! Btw the igloos Eskimos make also qualify.

Last edited by Lancer; 07-07-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Journeyman

Floor is poured and next is the 8" walls. Ordered 300 brick, don't know how many I'll actually need. Planning a cooking area with multiple brick rocket stoves so I'll likely order 200 more in the coming days. At 23 cents a piece its doable. Also ordered 10 (cement bag sized) bags of clay and 4 of silicate. Likely I'll get more silicate to glue the rocket stoves together.