Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/karangi-kitchen-48inch-ready-start-14844.html)

Karangi Dude 12-01-2010 01:49 AM

48inch ready to start

Sorry all content has been removed by the publisher

cobblerdave 12-01-2010 03:51 AM

Re: Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start

welcome onboard
Glad to see your still around remember you from JAS post talking about bricks from Dimore.... must be sept/oct sometime...
my Bros family live in coffs know what the floods can do to the main center bet ya insurance premiums are murder
keep posting your progress there a great bunch here and will support and help

regards dave

cobblerdave 12-03-2010 01:52 PM

I think it would be safe to say now that you fully committed?........even got the " minister of war and finance " on the end of a sledge hammer...I'm impressed

Regards Dave

nissanneill 12-03-2010 11:07 PM

I can see a potential problem raising it's ugly head not too far down the track!
With a 48" or 1200mm oven planned, there will be quite significant increase in bricks and weight sitting on that slab, especially on the outer edges ----right?
I personally would have dug a beam footing around the perimeter and put a few extra reinforcing rods in there to take the load.
All is not lost though, I would use 2 courses of brick for the build-up and fill the void with F62 mesh and vibrated concrete as a 3" vertical slab OR fill your Besser blocks (or as the AS members call them cinder blocks) with concrete for the extra strength that will be needed.

Cheers.

Neill

nissanneill 12-04-2010 01:45 AM

Good to see that you are addressing the potential problem.
With your planned improvements, it should stand the test of time.

Neill

OscarA 12-10-2010 08:31 PM

Looking good. I'm watching with great interest.

cobblerdave 12-12-2010 03:06 AM

Building one of these pizza ovens is a lot like building a house:-
When you get the slab done you think to yourself.... yep that looks about right
Then you get the walls up the thing suddenly looks....well, thats looking a bit bigger than I first thought....
Then you get the roof on you suddenly discover Heh...... thats Bloody huge!!
Mate I'll be watching ya built this one a 42' ovens quite big but a 48" is really big can't say I heard of one....perhaps I'll check the commercial builds

regards dave

OscarA 12-16-2010 02:34 PM

Great work, I like the way you have your supports for the top slab. I think I will do something very similar as it looks very sturdy and easy to disassemble once the slab is set.
Keep the photos coming.

cobblerdave 12-18-2010 08:03 PM

Guys
Give you a great trick for the formwork....Use a battery drill and long chipboard screws.... can't knock the framework out of plumb like hammering nails in. Strong... you bet.....easy to pull your forms apart at the end
No need to drill them completly in so you can find the ends easy only danger is don't pour any concrete in the ends and don't tear you shorts the missus i'll be on you case.
Regards

Dave

cobblerdave 01-07-2011 02:29 PM

Hi
Looks great! bet cha stoked with the results. One question though.... High Dome or Low Dome?

Regards Dave