Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start

Your making me hungry Doug!

You should add a shoulder of lamb or beef to your list.

Jamie Oliver cooked a lamb shoulder on his WFO and it looked awesome.

I am also waiting on the suckling pig dish!

Have you used the WFO as a tandoor yet? i have read that you can make good naan in them.

Keep up the ggod work!

Bert
Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Serf

Hi Doug, brilliant oven. I'm starting one in Brissy soon and am concerned about cracking/mortar strength etc.

Did your oven remain crack free? Did cross hatching the mortar on the exterior help with this? Any tips and adivce before I start would be great.

Thanks heaps
Mick.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for sharing Doug

That's what I love about these ovens, we call them pizza ovens but they are lot more than that. I like the idea of getting the most out of them as well so yesterday I went to Harris Scarf and got myself a Cast Iron pot which they had for a crazy low special price of $30. The pot will be perfect for slow cooking.
Keep up the good work with the updates, you're giving me/us some great ideas.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Yes the thermo couplings are expensive along with the digital display
Cheers Doug
G'day Doug,

I was wondering where you sourced the thermocouples and sundry supplies from. Also, what price range are we talking about ?

Regards,
Bruno
Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Is you cast Iron pot coated in enamel or just raw iron like a camp oven? if it's raw iron make sure after using it when you finish washing it you rub olive oil on the inside so it won't rust.

Hey Bert,
You asked about a suckling pig, I am having a large stainless baking dish built it will be about 950x500 big enough to cook a small pig or lanb in I will let you know when it is tested.

Cheers Doug
Hi Doug, the cast iron pot is enameled the only part of the pot that is exposed is a thin strip on the rim of the pot. I will make sure that part is oiled, thanks.

That Stainless steel baking tray you had made up is some serious piece of cookware, love it.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear doug

How goes things for you in Coffs? My Brother used to live in Coffs and I know how it floods So everything alright with you and yours.

Regards Cobblerdave
Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Doug
Had an old mate over Sat Arvo/night. He's a little bit of a fire man and enjoys camping just for the opportunity to have a fire. He enjoyed the whole fire lighting and oven starting to breath bit. He was taken with the infrared therm and could not believe the temps. Loved the pizza he made himself and (with the help of his wife) even managed to not use to much topping on his pizza.
After eating we dragged the fire remains to the oven entrance and just enjoyed a cold beer in front of a warm fire... Poor buggers probably hooked and he away to his oil rig and has asked me for some more info...
Sun arvo with the door on the oven dropped to a comfortable 200C and I baked my first Succesfull loaf of bread. Yes the first attempt another time failed due to taking a "nanny nap" after a few cold ales. Nothing special just a commercial mix put throught the bread maker on dough setting but I got to use my old grandads hand made bread tin. Nice bread eaten very warm with a metling butter...does it get any better
Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start-bread.jpg

Regards Cobblerdave
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Serf

Just a really impressive job. I'm shopping for a brick saw now and hope to start something in the 36 inch range next month. One question, how do you plan to finish the roof? Im considering welding up a suitable low profile metal roof to match and finish off the rustic nature of these ovens.

Again, u r the man
Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think drying out a load of wood in the oven is a great idea, but what happens to the moisture? Presumably it goes into the porous bricks, which then will have to be removed again by the next fire, so really little is gained. Maybe if the door were left open slightly then the bulk of the moisture would escape into the flue.
Sorry, didn't read your post properly. Just read that you did leave door ajar.sorry

Last edited by david s; 07-10-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When cooking pizza and maintaining a fire on the side, I like to place a piece of wood in the entry at the side (helpful if you have a wide entry) and it pre- heats, so when you're reedy to put it in, it bursts into flame very quickly.