Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start

Doug,

I am going to steal you innovation on a proofer. I was able to score a hospital blanket heater for free from my brother-in-law. All the external guts are gone but the insulated cabinet is intact and in great shape. The SWMBO says how many people are you going to cook for when she saw it
Attached Thumbnails
Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start-67-new-dough-proofer-9.15.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start

Gudday
Thanks Doug the fire at the back for cooking 'fire in oven 'is a lightbulb moment for me
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

Thanks for sharing your observations. Another arrow in the cooking quiver.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start

Gudday Doug
Thats an interesting method of construction...starting with a door then building an oven around it....but thats a hell of a damn fine door.
Coupla questions....are they insulating firebrick under you hearth brick?
And .... the small tile shown in the last photos....what are they for?

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
"You can see how Josh is following my lead on only cutting one side of each brick to avoid the upside-down vee's it is working well."
Hi Doug

Just curious if you could explain this further. Went back to the start of your build and couldn't find it mentioned. I get the inverted V discussions just need some further explanation of your method.

Another question also. Am i right in saying your outer landing on your build is one standard brick long [230mm] plus half brick decorative arch at the front?

Cheers Colin

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-11-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Doug

That makes perfect sense with that simple explanation thx muchly. I have been using your build and those that "lburo" links to predominantly, but alas i am at a stand still with my build once the base is completed [am waiting on a mate to build a brick tray for the brick saw i purchased (brand new 16" $200 but no tray) he is making it similar to utahbeehiver version so i can do compound mitre cuts].

I will use your method when i get to this point in the build as it is Soooooooooooooo much simpler.

Cheers Colin
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

I see you are passing your experience and skills on to another WFOer. Great looking door and the use of angle brackets to hold the bricks in place. Another fine example of a Karangi Dude oven. Nice to see........

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

42 C (107/8 F) way to hot with that kind of humidity. By contrast it is 5 degrees F here and about 20" of snow on my oven. So how are you going to find time to redo a pool, do your cooking classes and help with building wfos? I have been procuring copper sheathing and copper forming tools for the dome on my over so anxious for the weather to break, but at least a couple more months. I have had a couple people at work inquire about building and oven so I send them to Lburous treasure archive for guidance. This is where I orignally found your build. Thanks for your building and cooking contributions. The taper arch that your pioneered seems to be one of the norms now. Good luck with the pool.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Master Builder

I love your door, beautiful job. You know Karangi, you are right. It all starts with the door if you want to build a proper oven. Are you going to insulate the door?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Colin,

Was reading KD's thread and notice you mention my version of the brick jig for compound cuts. I have to admit I got the basic design from previous WFO builders so I borrowed (stole the idea) I flattered you "stole" my version . Also with a 16" blade you will have more than enough cutting depth for anything you will come across in your build. Good luck and take plenty of pics to document your build.

PS Doug's build was one of the baseline builds I used for my WFO. Especially the tapered arch, which is now the norm in the WFO builds now a days.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log