Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start

Doug,
Great build, as already echoed by others.
Must say I've gone over it a number of times, particularly the arch.

I'm still deciding on the insulating layer of the floor for my 2nd build. I noticed you used hebel? What has that been like for insulation? Just wondering how it compares to a cal sil board, sorry if I have missed this elsewhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

Thank you for the detail information. You are a wealth of knowledge and I am glad I asked the expert. You have given me a lot of options. I have flexible thermocouples (good to 1900 F), so your suggestion of a air probe has me thinking. I have some 1/4" or 5/16" stainless steel tubing I could use as a probe and insert the thermocouple into the dome by the arch say a 1/2 to 1 cm. What do you think?

Thanks for your willingness to share.

Russell
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Master Builder

Doug,
Ahhh..... Insulating fire bricks, that makes sense. Just been chatting with a local supplier and leaning towards a couple layers of calsil might see if he can get me specs on both. Just doing the base wall at the moment on mine so plenty of time.

Good timing Russell on the thermocouple question, might look into that as well

Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

One more item. Just confirming on location of TC in hearth brick. 1/2 way from center to where you move fire "to"? or should it me "from" to measure the cooking surface of the pizza?

Thanks Again,

Russell
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Damon,

I am no expert by any sense of imagination but I did install 2" of foamglass which placed 1 1/2" CaSi boards on top. You can seem them in my build photos. Between the foam glass and CaSi cost was about $220 USD. I have a spec sheet on CaSi but not with me now can PDF it and send this evening if you want.

Russell
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

Thanks for the follow-up. I think I have it dialed in now. Going to install two TCs in dome wall as you suggested to determine saturation and check the floor temp with my infared gun which will get me in the ball park for cooking pizza.

ciao,

Russell
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Doug,
Great build, as already echoed by others.
Must say I've gone over it a number of times, particularly the arch.

I'm still deciding on the insulating layer of the floor for my 2nd build. I noticed you used hebel? What has that been like for insulation? Just wondering how it compares to a cal sil board, sorry if I have missed this elsewhere?
Gudday
Sorry Doug but I beg to differ.
Damon I have used Hebel as the hearth insulation of my oven having built mine at the same time as Doug. Yes it proforms well with no problems. I use my oven about 3 out of every 4 weekends but cannot say how it would proform in say a commercial oven that was in use all the time however. Cost wise it would be probably cheaper to use Pearlite cement but the lot I had was free. I would recommend that anyone that used Hebel err to the side of caution and use it as a suplimentry insulation with a layer of pearlite or ceramic insulation on top.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Master Builder

Dave,
I have used it in other heat situations and found it can crack, however I do see how you could get it to work. Once its in place and surrounded in all directions its probably there to stay.
Pretty easy stuff to experiment with too.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Doug and Damon,
Hebel is not suppose to be heat resistant enough for oven use being made of portland cement. Doug its a fantastic material its real lite being full of small bubbles of air, soft you can cut it with a hand saw, you can clad a house with it glueing the blocks together with construction glue and render over it and you get fantastic insulation. I have used it to make many outdoor garden carving using a wood chisel rasp and saw thats why I'm familar with it.
The thing that has always amazed me it that pearlite/cement used by many ovens has 20% of its volume portland cement,yet it doesn't break down?
Ive been tempted to pull up a hearth brick to check the condition of the hebel but am reluctant to spoil my nice flat hearth. By the way I have also an insulated door of hebel Mk 1 lasted about 18 mths and I built it because the first one was a little rough not that it failed to work. I have also built one for a friend as well.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Master Builder

I've always been fascinated by the classic objection that Hebel is no good because its made with Portland cement. I've never been able to figure out why portland cement based vermicrete or perlcrete is considered Ok, but Hebel isn't.
Especially since, when it was first released to the mainstream in Australia, the adverts for its fire resistant properties used to show a block of Hebel with a blowtorch flame impinging on it.