Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Just joined and plan to build oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Hey Chris - Those bricks are good buying. The same bricks here in Bundy are $2 each (very expensive freight here). That makes both sources of bricks the same @ .66c. The Dinmore fire bricks are about $4 each depending where you get them.

Here is a pic of the formwork for the keyhole.
If doing a recess like this you should drill some drain holes in the bottom just in case water gets in and sits there. The holes will also allow moisture in the vermicrete to evaporate. I cover them with fibreglass insect screen from the top side, so to vermicrete doesn't fall through and hornets don't plug them up.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Serf

I am building a 42'' oven and just working out the foundation slab size if take into account that oven is 42'' inside , then 4.5'' brick x2 ,insulation blanket is another 2'' then vermiculite mix is 8'' all up the 2'' exterior wall plastering come up to approx 63'' outside of dome give or take 2''
If construct oven slab 1800 wide x 2000 deep will that be big enough?
and
Looking at foundation slab approx 2000wide x 2400 deep?(prefer smaller)

Then would build with 4 besser across back (1560mm) and 4.5 (1755mm)down the sides (using the back bric as my half) and top slab will have a slight overhang on all edges
Am I on the right track?
Chris
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
If you are going to build your foundation slab bigger than your stand perhaps consider including another water resistant layer at the first cement block.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Serf

Well the job has started .I found some besser blocks on Gum Tree so the base is ready to build just need to prep and pour the slab maybe Saturday.Then yesterday travellled to Warwick and purchased my bricks for the build.
Wayne at warwick brick works was very helpful with oven ideas and I even got some fire clay as well.So it finished up being a worth while trip .

For my suspended slab was wondering if it is a concern if leave the formwork in place for ever .Just the rear section of base will be closed off completely ,I plan to have front section open for wood storage and build a strenghting wall to split base into 2
If i used ply it will stay inside till it rots or should I use fibro sheeting ?

Chris
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Sorry edited out this post ......didn't read your post well enough
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Serf

Well finally started prep the slab ,finally got it poured then weather was cold and it didn't want to go off ,well that was a week ago and this afternoon i set out my besser blocks for the stand ,I was lucky as I only had to cut 4 to size .
My son ha sport on tomorrow so won't get any more done this week end hope to get the floor poured some time next week end

My question is planning to do 4'' structural slab then 4'' vermiculite insulation slab ,do they have to be poured at same time or can I do insulation slab another day ?
Also how much vermiculite do you use on slab approx 2.2 x 1.8 m slab and on the rest of a 42'' oven .
I have to bags so far but I realize that I will need more but how much .
I will try to attach some photo's of my build .
Chris

No luck with photo's
I paper clipped then then upload system had a think then ffornobravo.com/forum/newattachment .php?do....
came up
will try another day
Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Serf

Have another go at attaching photos
Attached Thumbnails
Just joined and plan to build oven-matt-july-2013-021-800x530-640x424  
Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The structural slab and the vermicrete do not have to be poured at the same time. Most builders wait at least 24 hrs after pouring the structural slab, but you could wait for weeks. Work out your volume for required quantity L x B x H add another 20% for volume loss on mixing. For the dome use 4/3 pi rxrxr again adding 20%. Not a bad idea to allow your vermicrete slab dry before covering over it, explanation in attachment. You may have trouble getting the weather to dry it this time of year in Toowoomba.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vermicrete insulating slab copy.doc 2.zip (73.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Serf

Well I now know how to reduce photo size attached are photo's of slab prep and the pouring and the base laid out .
Squared it all up this afternoon and now ready to fill the block work
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Just joined and plan to build oven-dsc_0092-640x424-.jpg   Just joined and plan to build oven-dsc_0088-640x424-.jpg   Just joined and plan to build oven-dsc_0100-640x424-.jpg   Just joined and plan to build oven-matt-july-2013-021-640x424-.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Serf

Thanks Dave
Was not sure how the vermicrete stood up to mixing and now I am a bit concerned about getting it to dry out properly as well .I see a lot of people seem to just do the insulating slab in the centre of the base ( approx.the size of there internal oven) and then put the bricks on top of the insulating slab ,this then leaves the out side area normal concrete which will not attract moisture .I think they call it key hole shape? It looks like the way to go

Chris